Home school vs. Public school

This came up in one of the other threads so I made it its own discussion...

Which do you think is the better option... for the student, for society, etc.?

breathilizer

Resident Ass-Kisser
I'm an advocate of homeschooling, and public school violence is just one of many reasons I advocate it.

Public school isn't about education. It' about teaching young Americans how to work a 9-5 job. It's not inspiring. It's not motivating. It's not even remotely educational. I'm telling you all this 3 1/2 years after my graduation. I didn't learn shit in school except how to fight, sell drugs, and get laid. I don't remember math formulas from geometry. I don't remember anything about pre-colonial America. I don't remember anything about the Periodic Table of Elements. I don't remember the point of Romeo and Juliet.

I'll tell you what I do remember though. I remember all the things I learned on my own, at home. I remember what I learned by reading books that interested me. I remember what I learned on interenet sites that interested me. I remember what I learned by watching the TV programs that interested me. I remember what I learned by having adults conversations with adults. I remember what I learned by working on projects in the house that needed to get done.

I remember those things because they all partained to my interests. Public school didn't care if I was interested in Shakespeare or not. They still made me read it.

My parents taught me to read when I was 3 years old, and I enjoyed it. I was reading encyclopedias for fun between the ages of 5-8. But then, as I was going to public school at the time, the courses became more rigid and strict. I wasn't having fun anymore. School turned me away from learning. I gradually came to hate reading, writing, and studying. I only returned to my love for education when I left high school.

How many people here can honestly say that the following words give them a feeling of interest, passion, intrique, motivation, inspiration, or a longing for more?

Study
Test
Exam
Essay
Pop Quiz
Due Date
Mandatory Assignments
Project
Mid-Terms

I don't know about you guys, but those words make me feel stressed, anxious and even scared to a degree.

Being forced into a stressful program against your will is aggrevating. It's no wonder why kids are so violent at school.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Home schooling can only work if the teacher has the time (in the case of a parent), or the family has the money (in the case of tutors). Thus, I don't believe it can ever support enough people to be viable in society.

Public school needs to be reformed, obviously, at the core (the College Board should just proverbially be taken out and shot), but I think it's still got boundless potential.

Individually, it depends on the individual. Some kids aren't organized enough to deal with home schooling. Some kids are too organized and intelligent for public school curriculum. And some public school curriculum just plain suck, both in the age of NCLB and the ramping insanity of college admissions. But college admissions are beginning to be more logical and less pure stress (Princeton and Harvard have abolished their early-admission program, and MIT's admission forms and process have been redone to reduce achievement listing and encourage dynamic and creative processes), and I think that this could eventually apply to high, middle, and elementary schools if enough is reformed federally and state-wide.

scitsofreaky

Registered Member
I agree with Kaz (again). Home schooling isn't for everyone. But public education is for no one. Education is a misnomer. My schooling didn't even teach me how to work a 9-5 job. I didn't go to a typical jr/sr high, it was an "alternative" or a "college prep" school, which just means that it was obsessed with testing before the Every Child Left Behind program started. It is a supposedly superior school, yet, with, sadly, few exceptions, the teachers were still incompetent. (That's a lot of commas, too many perhaps) Although part of the problem is probably curriculum, but I can't blame the district since a small school board, consisting of a few administrators and even a couple of parents, that came up with the curriculum, one of the "advantages" of being an alternative school:rolleyes:
Hmm, I'm kinda going off, aren't I. Well, my point is that Public Ed is b.s., even the "good" schools suck.
I wish I had a good solution. All I can think of is that if you are a parent that can't home school (there are quite a few single parent homes) at least foster your child's interests when they aren't (wasting his/her time) in school. If your kid likes dinosaurs, get them books, take them to the museum, do whatever you can and nothing less.

I

InfirmaryBlues

I'm an advocate of homeschooling, and public school violence is just one of many reasons I advocate it.

Public school isn't about education. It' about teaching young Americans how to work a 9-5 job. It's not inspiring. It's not motivating. It's not even remotely educational. I'm telling you all this 3 1/2 years after my graduation. I didn't learn shit in school except how to fight, sell drugs, and get laid. I don't remember math formulas from geometry. I don't remember anything about pre-colonial America. I don't remember anything about the Periodic Table of Elements. I don't remember the point of Romeo and Juliet.

I'll tell you what I do remember though. I remember all the things I learned on my own, at home. I remember what I learned by reading books that interested me. I remember what I learned on interenet sites that interested me. I remember what I learned by watching the TV programs that interested me. I remember what I learned by having adults conversations with adults. I remember what I learned by working on projects in the house that needed to get done.

I remember those things because they all partained to my interests. Public school didn't care if I was interested in Shakespeare or not. They still made me read it.

My parents taught me to read when I was 3 years old, and I enjoyed it. I was reading encyclopedias for fun between the ages of 5-8. But then, as I was going to public school at the time, the courses became more rigid and strict. I wasn't having fun anymore. School turned me away from learning. I gradually came to hate reading, writing, and studying. I only returned to my love for education when I left high school.

How many people here can honestly say that the following words give them a feeling of interest, passion, intrique, motivation, inspiration, or a longing for more?

Study
Test
Exam
Essay
Pop Quiz
Due Date
Mandatory Assignments
Project
Mid-Terms

I don't know about you guys, but those words make me feel stressed, anxious and even scared to a degree.

Being forced into a stressful program against your will is aggrevating. It's no wonder why kids are so violent at school.
I can totally identify with this. At my core, I love to learn and still do. However, I agree with schools being rigid and strict. Not in the sense that there are rules you've to follow, but that too much emphasis is placed on the final grade and not the education. I've always learned something from whatever classes I've had a given time, but never cared about what grade I'd get on paper. Unfortunately, my parents and teachers think the opposite way. I barely graduated high school because of way I approached school. Because I don't mind not doing the assigned work, so long as I learn it anyways. Tests are usually not a problem. But my desire to learn gets agitated and aggrevated from this rigidity.

You mentioned that the mere thought of all those terms makes you feel stressed and anxious; I hear ya.

Scitsofreaky and breathilizer- On top of all this, I agree that a passion should be fostered. As geeky/dorky/bogus as it sounds, I really have a passion for video games. I've been turned on to so many things in the world from them too. Nearly all interests I have outside of games are because of games. Additionally, I see games more than just a fun pastime. I won't get into that, but I've learned a wealth of knowledge I wouldn't have learned in school from games. Naturally this is just me, but learning outside of school is just as important.

Has anyone else noticed that grades seem to be a material thing today? I think the focus has drifted away from what is really valuable.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I go to Public School

I prefer home schooling, I was home schooled for like 2 years then I went to Public school.

I had fun in Home School, my parents, taught me how to read, I enjoyed reading books and doing stuff, That was fun and that will also make me learn things.

BUT, when I was told, that I am gonna go to Public School, sure, I was excited, new friends, new stuff to learn, as years passed, I wish, that I still was homeschooled.

Public Schools changed me, they made me learn faster, but I didnt like it, Strict teachers, getting in trouble for nothing at all.

Exams, they are killing me, I don't like them. Who am I to complain.

In home school, you feel relaxed, the people you know are around you.
but in Public Schools, Stressed, homework gets bigger and harder.

I know Schools are made for children to learn things, but it goes for too long. What's the point of having 6 periods per day and 6-7 hours in school.

I nearly have EVERY same subject every day.

Enough Said

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
As I see it the public school system has become little more than a dumping ground for children whose parents don't want to deal with them. An advanced publicly funded baby sitting service that has tied it's administrators and educators hands behind their backs with beauracratic red tape, filled with quotas rather than substance. It's now about pushing the children through the system anyway they can.

I believe this is largely a reflection of the lack of community now fostered in the Twenty First Century. There are too many single parent families where the parent due to economic restraints simply don't have the time to supplement the public education as has been done in previous decades. Add to that the fact that the few family units that do have both parents still in the household, must both work full time jobs to survive, and I believe we're rearing a generation of semi-abandoned children.

As for home schooling, I'm all for it if the education process includes peer stimulation and organized activity outside of the home. Without this, the child is deprived of proper social developement and will most likely fail to thrive in the real world, post graduation.

Hoosier.

I

InfirmaryBlues

Wow, you know I've never really given this topic much thought, as I've naively considered home schooling to be a cop out in learning. As a result of thinking about it, I'm seeing the cracks in public schooling.

I was homeschooled for a few months. I hated it.
Part of the curiculum was to interact with other (homeschooled) children. All the homeschool kids were really different. THere were a dozen guys playing with game boys drawing DBZ characters in the 12th grade. Not that that's a big issue, but seeing so many people involved in the same things was a bit odd. I assumed it was the homeschooling that caused their taste to develope differently. I think it's nessessary to put children a natural enviornment, where they're able to interact with others. It's better preperation for the real world.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
There are always going to be single families, by death or otherwise. Thus, home schooling is infeasible.

I feel a partial decentralization of federal schools might be in order, but I can't see a scenario in which home schooling would create a discernbily superior society, and I think that public schools are more easily reformed than to trust individuals with the complete education of their children.