• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Home repairs (do it yourself or hire someone?)

dDave

V.I.P.
I thought this would go well with the outdoors section but it also pertains to indoors (homes are in fact both indoors and outdoors)

When something goes wrong in your home like a plumbing problem, a hole in the wall, a window broke, the gutters and/or shingles are broken, or the garage door broke; do you hire someone to come out and fix the problem for you or do you fix the problem yourself?

Around here I know we do pretty much all of the renovations ourselves. We've knocked holes in the walls, had plumbing problems, etc. and we've fixed them all ourselves.

We have had people come out to work on more serious stuff like the boiler, water heater, and any kitchen appliances we may have. We also had the cable company install our dish and TV system.

Generally though we fix everything ourselves.

Are you like Fix it Felix Jr? :D Do you fix things yourself?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I was born into a family full of carpenters. I can do any home repair that you can imagine, most of which I can do by myself. There's an inherent satisfaction in being able to repair your home with your own two hands.

dDave

V.I.P.
I was born into a family full of carpenters. I can do any home repair that you can imagine, most of which I can do by myself. There's an inherent satisfaction in being able to repair your home with your own two hands.
Yeah, I've done some pretty crazy repairs/upgrades to my home. I agree that the satisfaction is a really good feeling.

One of these days I need to rewire this place to put modern phone lines throughout the house. That one is gonna be a serious pain.

Always a lot of work to do concerning home repairs though.

Elanor

Registered Member
I like trying to sort things out myself, but if it is something I can't do then my step-dad is pretty useful. He did the bathroom a few years ago, and he tried to sort out my central heating for me but we had to get a professional in the end. After he had made a hole in the floor.
It is definitely more satisfying doing something yourself, then paying for someone else to do it.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
One of these days I need to rewire this place to put modern phone lines throughout the house. That one is gonna be a serious pain.
It really isn't that much of a pain depending on how the house is wired. You can get this aluminum reel that you can fish through your walls/floors and snake the new wire right through. If the old phone line isn't stapled to the inside structure you can just tie the new line to the end of the old line very securely and pull.

dDave

V.I.P.
It really isn't that much of a pain depending on how the house is wired. You can get this aluminum reel that you can fish through your walls/floors and snake the new wire right through. If the old phone line isn't stapled to the inside structure you can just tie the new line to the end of the old line very securely and pull.
That's the problem though. This house isn't standard, not by a long shot.

We only recently acquired the original blueprints for the house and there have been so many modifications and various rewirings done that we have a pretty big mess. I really don't understand the way that this house is set up, it seems very illogical to me. I wonder if the original builder (I know he was a master craftsman) had any thoughts that someone might want to rewire one day.

I wish that it was gonna be easy but given the scenario we've got here it will be quite the job to rewire this place.

Doesn't mean that I'm not gonna try. :lol:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can do a lot of little things but my Dad is the King of home repairs.

If I need something done and its a big deal then I called Dad over and he does it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm the least handy person you'll ever meet. I can't even put together that flat-packed IKEA furniture, so when it comes to home repairs I hire people or ask friends for a hand.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I like to repair it by myself and sometimes Dad even would chip in but I feel more comfortable repairing it myself, knowing what goes where and doing it at my own pace.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We do most of our repairs ourselves. If the roof leaks, the pump fails or there's an electrical problem we fix it ourselves. If we needed some things done like a well drilled or anything that would require expensive special equipment we would have to hire someone.