• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Home Delivery

Bliss

Sally Twit
Certain supermarkets offer a home delivery service if you spend over a certain amount. In some cases you don't even have to go in store, you can order online.

Do you ever do this or do you prefer to get your own shopping?

I don't have a car so once every couple of weeks I will order our food online and have it delivered because we can buy more and save on the travelling costs. Obviously there's only so much you can carry so it saves on the hassle by having it delivered to your door.
The only downside to this is that sometimes you end up with something you didn't order or they substitute something you did order and it's not the same at all.

Dabs

Registered Member
None of the food stores in my area offer such a service, it would be nice...in a way....to just call up and place my order and have it delivered.
But as you said, sometimes you might end up with canned squid or some awful shit you didn't order.
I hate food shopping...you go to the store, get your buggy, put all the items you want into this buggy...then get to the check-out and unload all your items, then have those items bagged and you put them back into the buggy again....wheel them to your car, then have to carry all the bags into your house.
It's like a full workday, all at once~

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This concept is pretty new to South Africa. I've never actually used that service, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to it. I prefer knowing what I am buying though and would hate for someone else to decide what they should substitute my order with if something wasn't available. For the convenience though, that might be a small price to pay.

Impact

V.I.P.
Yep, every week our food is delivered. Living in a village, we only have a small supermarket which seems to be more expensive than the bigger ones. Its fine to pick up milk and bread and such through the week, but for bigger shops it costs considerably more. So we order from Sainsburys in town and the delivery costs work out much cheaper than fueling up the car to get into town, or a taxi. Plus, it turns shopping from a 2 hours experience (including travel) to something that takes 30 mins

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
We always go to buy our food but thats because Sally has massive OCD and MAJOR issues with delivery lol!!!

Anywho I personally used to use Tesco's home delivery when me and my ex fiancé lived together. It was just easier because we both worked silly hours and we could amend shopping lists from our phones.

redroses

Registered Member
ive never done my food shopping online because i live literally a 5 minute walk from the supermarket. although i do see the appeal to it i always find shopping stressfull. its always busy and the ques are always too long!
if they didnt have something in store i think they should just let you know and tell you what they think the best alternitive should be then let you decide wether or not you want that item instead and if not give you a refund.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There are grocery delivery services here, but my family has never used them. I think they're good for people who may not have a grocery store nearby or don't have time to go shopping, but otherwise I think it can be an excuse to be lazy. I don't know exactly how it works, but I wouldn't trust them to pick out fresh fruits and veggies for me.

Bliss

Sally Twit
It's not about being lazy. It saves money and if you don't have a car it can be difficult to do a big shop. You pick what you want and all of the food should be fresh. If you were worried about that you should pick a different supermarket!

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It's not as popular in the states, that I know of...but a few stores around here do offer it. I haven't done it myself, but I have seriously considered it. I don't do it because normally I walk a few aisles a pick up things I didn't realize I needed until I saw it...but this is because I'm forgetful and have issues making lists.

Dabs, you may want to look up some of the grocery stores around you online. Does Tennessee have Kroger or Albertsons? I think both of them offer. They just don't advertise it. I would go online and look up some of the more popular stores in your area.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Like Pam said, it's not real popular here but I can't imagine doing it if it were. I like grocery shopping and prefer to pick out my own fruits and vegetables.