• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Holographic Versatile Disc > Blu-Ray/HD DVD

Wrecked

Registered Member
New Storage System May Make All DVDs Obsolete
Threatening to make both competing high-definition DVD systems, Blu-Ray and HD DVD, quickly obsolete, a holographic storage system that can store up to 300GB on a single disc is expected to hit the market by this time next year, Britain's New Scientist magazine is reporting in its current issue. The magazine noted that the technology behind it could eventually be developed to store up to 1.6 terabytes on a disk, the equivalent of 300 DVDs. Moreover, it noted, the system employs a laser light unit that allows information to be transferred in a single flash, thereby lowering production costs. The system is being developed jointly by InPhase Technologies and Hitachi.

http://imdb.com/news/sb/2005-11-28/#5

i've known about HVD for a while, but i guess the time is coming closer. as cool as it is, it is also bad for the consumer. the average person won't know what they're getting their self into if all 3 mediums make it [ especially the elderly ]. most likely, there will be specific players for each medium, leaving the masses to know which disc works on which player.

oh man, this is going to be a mess. i already feel sorry for the people that work in the electronic/media section having to explain the differences about 50 times a day.

cue all the old people calling video game consoles "nintendo(s)".

this is the original article i saw a while back:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6681/Holographic-Disc-to-Store-One-Terabyte-of-Data

[ and fyi, i believe that 1.6 terabytes is how much "storage" is in a human brain ]

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Blu-Ray is what the PS3 is going to use. I'm already excited about that. :)

The good news is that most newer DVD's have the original feed still available, and it is usually kept on archive by the production studio. That means that most newer stuff can be released in Blu-Ray and be better quality than DVD's, since the original quality is better than DVD.

The bad news is that you'd have to repurchase all of your movies if you wanted the highest quality available. I would do it with some of mine, but for the most part I'm happy with the quality of DVD's.

I would like to see how Lord of the Rings looks on Blu-Ray though. It would be the equivalent to watching it in HD instead of normal DVD.