• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Holiday in a Warzone

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I can't imagine Afghanistan being a first choice holiday destination at the moment.

Suppose that wars and conflicts and general 'life-threatening' dangers end in places such as this (they might do someday). Do you reckon holidays will be sought there?

If the conflict ended in such places do you reckon you'd like to go there yourself? Do you reckon some of these places would provide a good holiday?

Are there places that aren't warzones that you hate the look of, and would choose a warzone as a destination, just so you don't have to go there?

What do you reckon to stories of people being captured, by pirates or whatever? People who've gone on a holiday to this part of the world and subsequently been a victim of the violence there? Is that enough to put you off going there? Could it be enough to stop you going there period, regardless of whether peace came?

What souvenirs would you bring back from a holiday trip to an ex-warzone?

Err... That is all... but you can discuss holidaying in warzones at your leisure too. My opinions are absent at present.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I can't imagine Afghanistan being a first choice holiday destination at the moment.

Suppose that wars and conflicts and general 'life-threatening' dangers end in places such as this (they might do someday). Do you reckon holidays will be sought there?

If the conflict ended in such places do you reckon you'd like to go there yourself? Do you reckon some of these places would provide a good holiday?

Are there places that aren't warzones that you hate the look of, and would choose a warzone as a destination, just so you don't have to go there?

What do you reckon to stories of people being captured, by pirates or whatever? People who've gone on a holiday to this part of the world and subsequently been a victim of the violence there? Is that enough to put you off going there? Could it be enough to stop you going there period, regardless of whether peace came?

What souvenirs would you bring back from a holiday trip to an ex-warzone?

Err... That is all... but you can discuss holidaying in warzones at your leisure too. My opinions are absent at present.
They're cheaper destinations for holiday packages, but even travel agencies and government agencies will advise you against it. You risk getting stuck in there or killed. That's not a vacation.

If conflict ended, then fine. I still think they'd make holiday packages cheaper to attract tourism.

There are no places I hate the look of. There are places I'm more wary about going because of restrictions - but it really depends what is the purpose of my holiday. Anyway I wouldn't choose warzone and risk my safety just to not go in a place that didn't look "cute" to me.

As for the stories...I think some realise that when you hear certain stories about war, kidnapping, etc. they don't apply to the entire country/region. So they risk going to nearby regions or same country, but hopefully avoiding the risky areas. Then it's really just bad luck that they run into trouble. Although I can imagine some going for the adventure --- either being captured themselves or saying they survived going there.

Impact

V.I.P.
Likes ysa said, sometimes the risky places don't apply to the whole country, only certain regions. I think the only advantage to holidaying in a place thats risky would be the cheap airfares. I don't think I would be doing that though, holidays are about relaxation and destressing from everyday life, not worrying if you're going to be blown to pieces.

I'd be perfectly happy to vacation somewhere that had been declared safe for a while though, if it was somewhere I was interested in visiting