Hockey Fans didn't like Hockey Mom

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Boo Palin? You betcha | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/13/2008

WE FIGURED out the Sarah Palin thing in one you-betcha moment. This wasn't politics. This wasn't about having America's biggest celebrity drop the ceremonial first puck at the Flyers' season opener on Saturday night.
This was about Scott Gomez, gosh darn it. The governor of Alaska and the Rangers forward from Alaska. There you go. Oh, Pennsylvania is a battleground state? Oh, Flyers chairman Ed Snider, a McCain supporter, invited Palin?

Fans in blue-state Pennsylvania voiced their disapproval when Hockey Mom came out to center ice. Boos overwhelmed the cheers. We thought it was 70 percent to 30 percent in favor of the boos. The person sitting next to us in Section 123 thought it was 65 to 35.

See, the faltering McCain-Palin ticket has been right all along: It's the evil, mainstream media distorting facts. This member of the mainstream media was stunned Palin wasn't wearing a Flyers jersey. Instead, she had her 7-year-old daughter Piper wear one, like that would help.

This Flyers crowd, perhaps annoyed that politics would be interjected into their sport without their permission, was not kind. The booing and jeers lasted throughout the brief ceremony. Then, Sarah Smile was gone.

Then, the 19,623 fans could enjoy their favorite battleground opponent - the Rangers. This red state/blue state thing is important, but it shouldn't interfere with hockey. The only thing red this crowd cared about was seeing the blood of the Rangers on the ice.

Then, the veteran of self-immolation when interviewed by Katie Couric sat down for an interview with Steve Coates on "Coatesy's Corner," a safe venue with no annoying policy questions, or any questions about what she does when Vladimir Putin sends Russian planes over her Alaskan airspace. From Coates it was all Hockey Mom stuff and she responded with her bubbly and charming personality. Palin is terrific as Hockey Mom. She should continue that role, long into future.
- Chuck Bausman
Here's a video of it where you can see the thumbs down and Obama/Biden signs in the background:
YouTube - Hockey mom Sarah Palin boo'd at hockey game.

PS. Icegoat, padd, Jeanie...you're not dreaming. I posted a hockey thread! :lol:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
:hah: thats funny.

Well all I have to say is, if the Republican Party thought this would be a good stunt for an unknown battleground state... I'd have to say it failed.

However! In hockey we have to take into consideration... The fans do in fact Boo the best players from the other team. So a good mind game for a person who may or may not know the function of hockey fans :eyebrow:

on a side note... I didnt watch it... I cant stand either of those Clubs hahaha.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Also keep in mind that Philadelphia fans boo everything, including our own national anthem at the NBA All-Star game a few years back.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
:rotfl: this is very true.

Philly is a tough crowd. So are the Rags Fans that I'm sure were in attendance.... lmao... All I know is if I were in a political position and I had to drop a ceremonial puck, it sure as hell wouldnt be for either of those two teams.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
If I were in a political position I probably wouldn't do anything to be in the spotlight at a sporting event, period.

I'm sick of the whole "hockey mom" thing. I don't fucking want a hockey mom, I want someone who can lead the country.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Also keep in mind that Philadelphia fans boo everything, including our own national anthem at the NBA All-Star game a few years back.
Yeah, but it's probably not often that some do it while carrying Obama/Biden flyers at the same time.

:rotfl: this is very true.

Philly is a tough crowd. So are the Rags Fans that I'm sure were in attendance.... lmao... All I know is if I were in a political position and I had to drop a ceremonial puck, it sure as hell wouldnt be for either of those two teams.
Like the author said, you don't mix politics with sports. People watching want to see a sports game not a political stunt. If it were Obama, he probably would have received boos too. The only difference is that he's not riding on a "hockey dad" reputation that is supposed to endear him to voters who appreciate hockey.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Its still hilarious. Its not like its someone that deserves to be booed like Rosanne Barr. Being Pattie LaBelle is even more funny in a way since she's a Philly girl. (-I think)

EDIT: well, I missed the it was terrible at first. But still, I think I'll bypass Philly if I ever pass through. That's a tough crowd.

Last edited: