• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hmmm....this smells alright....

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
..::This thread idea has been brought to you by the wonderful brain of Bliss::..

I'm very picky about best before dates. Sometimes I'll pour out the last glass of milk from a jug of milk even if its a couple days before the best before date. If a package of sandwich meat is past due, even if I've had it frozen, I won't eat it. I'll eat food I've dropped on the floor haha, but never anything that seems expired. Even leftovers in the fridge. If I know it's been there for more than a week, I don't wanna eat it. It just seems unappetizing to me.

Even when I'm in the store, I'm always checking the best before dates on food to make sure I buy the newest freshest stuff. I'd hate to buy something expired.

What about yourselves? Are you picky about best before? Or do you ignore it and give it the old sniff test?

Bliss

Sally Twit
I always check dates on food before I buy it. If there is a stack of something I'll take the bottom one because it is fresher. Same with milk that I buy for my boyfriend. I always take the one from the back of the line because they put the oldest ones at the front.
I always follow what the packaging says when it's in my fridge. If it says use within 3 days then I'll throw it out on the third day. I usually smell it even if it's in date just to be safe, though.

Impact

V.I.P.
..::This thread idea has been brought to you by the wonderful brain of Bliss::..

I'm very picky about best before dates. Sometimes I'll pour out the last glass of milk from a jug of milk even if its a couple days before the best before date. If a package of sandwich meat is past due, even if I've had it frozen, I won't eat it. I'll eat food I've dropped on the floor haha, but never anything that seems expired. Even leftovers in the fridge. If I know it's been there for more than a week, I don't wanna eat it. It just seems unappetizing to me.

Even when I'm in the store, I'm always checking the best before dates on food to make sure I buy the newest freshest stuff. I'd hate to buy something expired.

What about yourselves? Are you picky about best before? Or do you ignore it and give it the old sniff test?
You realise that defeats the purpose of freezing food, right? You freeze it to extend the shelf life...

Anyway, I'm not too fussy on best before dates unless it's something dairy. Which, as I don't eat much of, doesn't really affect me. Also, you need to take the terms Best Before and Use By into consideration. Generally, if something is a day after a best before date i'll give it a sniff, and if it smells good, i'll eat it. If it's a Use By date, you have to be pretty strict on it.

Also, vegetables are a big one I ignore the dates on. Use within 3 days...uh no. That shit will last a week in the fridge just fine thanks. I'm not going shopping every 3 days for vegetables.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I check the dates but I won't throw them away for being a day late. It's my belief that manufacturers put a date before they're really bad so we have some kind of time range when we can still eat the food without getting sick. They did say "best before" and not "must consume before". :p

For those without dates, like prepared food I stored on the fridge or freezer, sniff test.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
it depends on what it is. With milk and cheese, the sniff test works fine. Sour cream and yogurt, not so much. I'll keep yogurt maybe a few days past the sell by date.

with eggs, you can put them in a bowl or pot of water to see if they're ok to eat. If they sink, they're ok. If they float to the top, throw them away because there is enough bacteria inside the shells to have created enough gas to cause the eggs to float.

With produce, I buy the freshest. If it's bagged, I look for the oldest sell by or use by date.

OpenWebLayer

Registered Member
I depend mostly on the sniff tests. In fact I sniff everything (such a weird habit).
But based on smell I can say what's the exact taste of a dish (that's how I distinguish between the fruits to buy the ripe ones).

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
At home, I'm always telling my mum I won't eat/drink something because it's out of date. She tries to keep food as long as possible because she hates throwing it away. So it feels like I'm really picky. But I HATE mold, so I won't just cut the little blue bit off the bread and eat the rest, I'll throw the whole thing away.

On my own and when I'm trying to make food last longer, I do check expiry dates before I eat or drink anything, but if they are a couple days over then I will taste a bit (unless it looks/smell bad).
I'm not worried about getting sick, I just hate hate hate anything that is moldy, so I'm still kinda conscious before taking things out of their packets.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm pretty conscious of this as well. I always make sure I look at the expiration date because I don't want any moldy surprises or anything. I don't like to throw out food because I know someone else coulda gladly eaten it but if it's expired and doesn't look too good I won't touch it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blur Bathroom Wall 5
Smelnick Bathroom Wall 7
Smelnick Bathroom Wall 18
Ilus_Unistus Bathroom Wall 10
Smelnick Bathroom Wall 16