• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

HIV Cure?

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
This news is more than 1 month old, and the first I have heard of it, but we discussed this in my anatomy class yesterday.

German doctors have "cured" an HIV patient in Germany through stem cell and bone marrow transplant. I find it to be very exciting news! The researchers still have much to do as there is the possibility the virus can return but as of yet there is nothing to say it will.

German doctors declare cure in HIV patient | Reuters

Please share your thoughts?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This 'cure' was just for this patient. As the article points out, it's very impractical and potentially lethal. It's still great news because of the insights it offers scientists in the race to find a more universal method.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This 'cure' was just for this patient. As the article points out, it's very impractical and potentially lethal. It's still great news because of the insights it offers scientists in the race to find a more universal method.
I agree. It will help in the long run, but not in the short term.

About the methods of this 'cure', stem cells and bone marrow transplants can 'cure' a lot of things with enough treatment.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
This has been discussed a couple of times here since the breakthrough. The thing is, when the patient became seronegative doctors could only speculate that it was a temporary thing (although the mere fact that it went to that level was already amazing). Seropositive people just lower detection when they take meds but never reverses or go back to being seronegative. So the patient has been monitored for years until they can finally think it is safe enough to declare him cured of the infection last year.

Before though it seems like it was just reported as any stem cell transplant, whereas it was really specific what they did here (hoping to increase the patient's chance of surviving hiv). More technical details here: AIDSmeds - Top Stories : Berlin Patient Follow-Up 'Strongly Suggests' HIV Cure - by Tim Horn

I think the case opens up new discussions about the effects of CCR5delta32 deletion and may explain why some don't develop seropositivity despite exposure to virus (e.g., unprotected sexual rapport with infected) or how some people are seropositive for decades and yet do not develop sickness or aids. Perhaps they could look for more ways to manipulate these beyond the cell ablation because while this experiment had been successful, it's also highly risky as people could die just by going through the procedure once.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I didn't read the article because I've been jaded by the HIV cure news that has come in the news so many times. Looks like it's the same thing again.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Technically it is the same thing. I mean at least this news has been reported several times since a couple of years. They're simply reiterating that after that span of time, the "cured" patient hasn't gone back to being HIV+ which made it more confident for doctors to declare his status as officially cured.

Dabs

Registered Member
In my opinion, there will never be a "cure" for anything that is deadly for a human. We have the HIV, we have cancer, we have so many other terrible diseases, and what may work for some ONE someone, isn't going to be the thing that works for everyone. Sure, it's great when something is found to work for someone and they get better and can live longer. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on them to find an actual cure for anydamnthing.