• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hits to the head

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
This is getting to be retarded. They fined Harrison $75,000 for a legal hit. The NFL is starting to remove contact from the sport. These guys are taught to lead with the shoulder and sometimes the helmet runs up under the facemask; it has always happened that way. Now Harrison, one of the best LBs in the league right now, is seriously contemplating retirement because he won't be allowed to play proper football without being afraid of fines or suspension.

His hit was brutal, but legal.

also, I think that nearly all helmet to helmet hits should be illegal. It would be impossible to avoid helmet to helmet contact completely. I do feel that nearly every case of "leading with the helmet" and "launching helmet first" should be illegal. I agree with ejections and suspensions for the worst offenders (like the hit on Heap).

BigBob

Registered Member
The thing is the NFL isn't trying to just protect the player that is getting hitted on the helmet by another helmet. They're trying to protect everyone and get those type of plays out of Football.
Then why watch football? It's an offensive-first league that wants to see all games to finish like 52-45 wins. These types of hits DON'T need to be taken out of football.

Hits like the one on Reggie Bush back in the playoffs against the Eagles a few years ago are going to start being "illegal" and penalized hits and it's getting a little ridiculous.

I understand your argument about the whiplash, but the chances of you getting a concussion from a whiplash is very small, unlike someone getting hit in the head by another player via the helmet.
The full process is what I'm talking about. I'll use an example.

Say you catch the ball and I'm running full speed at you and hit you with a perfect form tackle. First, your head is going to snap forward, and then you're going to be thrown to the ground with hundreds of pounds of force.. then, as you hit the ground, your head is going to snap back and bounce off the ground. You'll be left seriously injured.

Like I said earlier, some of these hits can be avoided. Just take Brandon Meriweather for example, he got fined for a helmet to helmet, which was deserving. He could of tackled Todd Heap in so many different ways on that play.
The difference between this and all the other ones, Meriweather was intensionally doing it all game to Heap.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Certainly generating alot of discussion.

Pretty much agree with everything DaStevez says.

I watch football for a lot of reasons, one of them are watching guys get blown up. Huge hits are going to happen and sometimes, accidentally, guys are going to lead with their helmets.

The only hit I want to see the NFL get rid of is guys intentionally leading with their helmets, when their is clearly no play on the ball. That`s really the only one that upsets me a great deal, is when the ball is 5 feet over the receivers head, and the defender basically going full out leading with his head against the defenseless reciever.

I have no problem with any legal hit on the ballcarrier currently and I hope that the NFL does not change these rules.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Check this out, straight from the NFL.com video of the Harrison hit:

No helmet to helmet. He didn't "launch" either, you can see his foot planted.

BigBob

Registered Member
You can take a look at his other hit as well, Steve. It looks like if his helmet does hit Cribbs helmet on the other hit, it maybe just brush it.

Just thought I'd post this of what some of the NFL players think of the "dumbing" down of the hits and such in recent years.

Ray Lewis is worried about what's happening to his sport.

The Baltimore Ravens linebacker who epitomizes hard hits in the NFL fears that the league is stripping away the inherent violence and "the game will be diluted very quickly."
Arizona Cardinals linebacker Joey Porter was clearly perplexed by the decision.

"There's no more hitting hard. That's what our game is about. It's a gladiator sport," Porter said. "I mean, the whole excitement of people getting hit hard, big plays happening, stuff like that.

"Just watch -- the game is going to change," he said.
"What they're trying to say -- 'We're protecting the integrity' -- no, you're not," Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman said. "It's ruining the integrity. It's not even football anymore. We should just go out there and play two-hand touch Sunday if we can't make contact."
Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder said the only way of preventing helmet-to-helmet hits is to eliminate the helmet.

"If I get a chance to knock somebody out, I'm going to knock them out and take what they give me," Crowder said. "They give me a helmet, I'm going to use it."
"Guys have to be coached differently because we've been coached a certain way our whole lives," said Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita, a member of the executive committee of the players' union. "I think people out there would be shocked at the things players hear in their meetings with their coaches and the things they are supposed to do, the way they are taught to hit people."
"The guys who have had the knack to lay somebody out, I consider it a talent in itself," Broncos safety David Bruton said. "I feel as though these deterrents would be depriving them of the chance to showcase their abilities."
Those are just the snippets I picked out of the article, Players unhappy about crackdown on hard hits - ESPN

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Harrison didn't lead with his helmet on the example shown but he did take his forearm and drive it through the Browns' players helmet. That's still a hit to the head even if Harrison didn't use his head to initiate contact.

I'm as big of a fan of the big hits as anyone but the players have to know the commissioner is doing this for their own safety. Learn to play within the rules or get out.