• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hits to the head

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is the big topic of discussion right now because so many guys are getting creamed in the head and are getting serious concussions as a result. It is ILLEGAL for the player to lead with his helmet and make contact with another players helmet. That's in the rule books. Now they are going to start suspending players because so many guys are getting hurt.

I thought the one on Desean Jackson was brutal but it was happening so damn fast it was impossible to stop in time. They have to take that into account...this game moves quick and defenders are taught to knock the ball free. Now, the one Harrison had on Cribbs and the one Meriweather had on Heap were hits that could have been avoided and i thought were unnecessary. I think it's going to be tough to stay consistent because sometimes you just cannot help it.

Thoughts on this policy?

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen, the NFL will announce a suspension policy for "devastating hits" and "head shots," starting in Week 7.

NFL's Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson did not discuss if suspensions would be handed down for players involved in Week 6 hits. Any player inflicting an illegal hit will be open to suspension, even if the hit is a player's first offense.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I like this stance, NFL is the only league that rarely suspends for violent, unnecessary play. I understand some hits are unavoidable and part of the game, but some of these hits are not plays on the ball and need to be squashed. I think suspensions will help get rid of some of these devastating hits, although I hope the NFL clearly defines what will be suspendable, because I don't want big hits taken out of the game altogether. Violence is apart of the game and if the hit is clean, I hope that remains legal.

Jemele Hill rose a good point today in here column. Basically it stated that maybe these hits will make the NFL re-think the 18 game season.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm in pretty much agreement with Squeak on this one. The game is so fast that at times the player cannot stop, just like what happened to Jackson. That play was going to happen no matter what.

But you see often where defenders go head hunting, especially when it comes to sacking Quarterbacks. I'm glad that the league is going to enforce this rule, but hopefully they review the play carefully before actually suspending the player in question.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
James Harrison needs to look at his hits again, he clearly gave a helmet to helmet shot. He deserved to get fine for those hits that could of been done in another fashion. He makes millions of dollars, and he's crying about a fine. Makes me so mad when certain athletes do this.

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't have a problem with the hits. It's football, it's going to happen. If you're out there, you're not thinking "hey, let me just tackle him and get him down.".. you're thinking "let me hit him as hard as I can a force the turnover."

Robinson's thought process during the hit, as told me me.. "Don't let him catch the ball, hit him hard and force the incompletion."

I don't have a problem with the hits, like I said.. it's football. Helmet-to-helmet hits, most of the time aren't intentional. Having played football, you are out there to hurt the other team, not injury them. Harrison said it best when he said he's out there to hurt someone for the game, not injury them.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree somewhat with you Bob, sometimes those hits are not intentional, the game is so fast and you cannot stop on a dime when you want to. But you have to admit there's been hits in the last fews season that could of been avoided, especially hits to the helmets/head.

I know Football is a rough game, but that doesn't mean the NFL shouldn't protect their players. The head is a sensitive spot, and if you get hit there often then the chances of you having issues later on in your life are pretty high.

BigBob

Registered Member
Every big hit, regardless of where the other player is hit, is going to effect the head. That's my issue. If you have a wide receiver crossing over the middle and a linebacker throws a shoulder into their chest, whiplash. Their heads going to snap forward quick, and their going to hit their head off the ground when they fall. A helmet-to-helmet hit is usually going to effect both players involved, so it's not something that everyone goes out saying "I'm going to put my helmet into his helmet and take him out" because you're just risking injury to yourself.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The thing is the NFL isn't trying to just protect the player that is getting hitted on the helmet by another helmet. They're trying to protect everyone and get those type of plays out of Football. I understand your argument about the whiplash, but the chances of you getting a concussion from a whiplash is very small, unlike someone getting hit in the head by another player via the helmet.

Like I said earlier, some of these hits can be avoided. Just take Brandon Meriweather for example, he got fined for a helmet to helmet, which was deserving. He could of tackled Todd Heap in so many different ways on that play.