Hitchhiking

Discussion in 'Travel, Points & Rewards' started by ysabel, Jun 17, 2009.

?

Hitchhiking....

1. I want to experience it!

16.7%
  2. Haven't done it and won't ever.

50.0%
  3. BTDT, no thanks.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. BTDT, I'll do it again.

25.0%
  5. I'm fine with picking up hitchhikers.

33.3%
  6. I won't pick up hitchhikers.

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

(also known as thumbing, hitching, autostop or thumbing up a ride) is a means of transportation that is gained by asking people, usually strangers, for a ride in their automobile or other road vehicle to travel a distance that may either be short or long -- thank you wikipedia

I want to hear experiences of anyone who tried to hitchhike or maybe someone who took a hitchhiker?

If you haven't tried either, would you be willing to do it?

I attempted hitchhiking once when I was stranded in some place with a friend and there was a storm. We found a good soul who took us closer to our destination. I haven't tried it again since.

Is it common where you live? Do cars actually stop and pick you up? I think it's risky to do it. I probably would never had done it if I weren't so desperate to get home that time. Maybe I also felt safer because I had someone with me. If I were driving a car, I don't think I would pick up strangers either although sometimes I see them on the street and think of the time I was stranded and hope someone would take them (at the same time hope that they're not criminals who want to trap those who are feeling generous).

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Nobody really does it around here anymore because in the late 60's a bunch of college-age girls were murdered and most of them had been picked up as hitchhikers. John Norman Collins was convicted of killing one girl but it's clear that he was the perp in all the other murders. He's currently serving life without parole in Marquette, MI.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I would really have to be in a desperate situation to do it. I mean, if I was out, lost somewhere I might do it just to get to safety, but I wouldn't willingly do it. I'm too shy and have pride when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm also not necessarily worried about that weird person who might say "if you **** me, I'll take you as far as you want", or the guy who pulls the knife, kills me and tosses me in the tree trimmer. Strange how I'm more concerned on how *I* appear then what dangerous situation I may be entering. Hehe...

i have yet to see somebody hitchhiking around here. I think the people who we would assume would hitchhike just take the bus. (Don't take that out of context. =P )

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I was imagining it still to be common in places where there's (almost) no public transportation available and people just get by traveling with their personal vehicles. I wonder though if it's made illegal in some places for safety reasons.

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I see people trying to hitch a ride on the road I live down and it's not even a major highway. I would never pick anybody up and I would hope I never have to hitch a ride either.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I would pick you up, baby. We would go back to my place for... well, you know, a little D&D. Yup, some Dungeons and Dragons. R-Rawr. :*

Even thought I'm not suppose to judge people, I do feel that I might judge a person before picking them up. If they were looking good, in a suit and shaven they have a better chance in me picking them up then say somebody who is looking dirty, unshaven and have that murderer look. I know! It's wrong! I can't help it...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

People still play D&D? My ex used to play that with his buddies, I usually left because I didn't want to hear any of it.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

google images of Ted Bundy and John Norman Collins. both mass murderers, both clean shaven and "normal" looking.

9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

No, I wouldn't do either for safety reasons. It really sucks because if I saw someone needing a ride, I would love to help them.

However, you never know what people are going to do or what the crazies look like.

10. gusto

gusto Registered Member

It sure is a different world out there than when I was teen and a young 20 something back in the 60's and 70's. That was the hippy days and the young folks of North America were on the move. I wasn't unusual for their to be up to 20 kids standing at an on ramp hitching a ride. You hardly ever had to wait long and people were more than happy to pick you up. I hitch hiked tens of thousands of miles and had some amazing experiences out there on the road. There were bands of hippies that traveled around in vans and they would always pick you up if they had the room.Many times they were going no where in particular just looking for a "new Scene man". If you were footloose and fancy free you never knew where you would end up or who you would end up with. I've ended up deep in an Indian reservation in the middle of some sacred ceremony. I,ve ended up at a hippy commune in Vancouver 5000km from where I started. I hitched to key west and lived for a month on the beach. I remember a six pack of big cans of beer was 99 cents. I was almost always offered jobs while I was travelling around and it wasn't unusual for people to offer you a place to crash for a few days. Many kids found places they really liked and stayed there permanently. San Fransisco was one place many stayed for good. Vancouver and Vancouver Island was another. We had a couple hundred thousand American kids on the loose in Canada because they refused to fight in Uncle Sam's stupid war of the day. it was a great age. Full of fun,crazyness,acceptance for wierd or different people,irresponsibility and freedom. I really don't know what happened to bring us to this age where things are so different.
    I'm still out there on the road all over North America because I drive a big truck. You hardly ever see a hitch hiker and the ones you do see look like escaped crimminals or other dangerous types. I'm just very sorry that the flower children's ideas of peace,love and groovyness did not have a more lasting effect on todays society.