• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hitchhikers, would you pick one up?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have picked up someone a couple of times I didn't know one time. Usually I pass them up because I am afraid to give them a ride. This mans car broke down right in front of me and I felt sorry for him so I gave him a ride to this little country store about a mile or so away. He was eternally grateful but I have to admit I was nervous.

The other time it was a young woman with two small children. Some men stopped to give her a ride and she wouldn't take it so I stopped. I wasn't the least bit concerned this time. From way back I saw her get out of a car that had ceased to function. Actually found out we lived in the same neighborhood so I took her home.

Just people hitchhiking in general I won't stop.

I was just wondering how many of you would stop to pick up a hitchhiker you didn't know? Have you?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
It would really depend on the individual. But generally I would be uninclined to pick up anyone. The world in general is just a bit too crazy so my general trust level is pretty low. If however I see a broken down car, I would be more willing to help out.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If their car hadn't been broken down I wouldn't have picked up either one of these people. Even with the guys car being broken down I was nervous about picking him up. However I had my seat belt on and he didn't. I usually tell people to buckle up or I'm not moving but this time I didn't. If he had tried to hurt me in any way I figured it would be a way for me to defend myself. I would have came down on my brakes hard and sent him into the windshield.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
After having been a hitchhiker myself roughly 15-20 times and being so appreciative of the people who were kind enough to give me a ride, I am more likely to do the same for others. It all depends on the area and the appearance of the hitchhiker though. I would never pick anyone up on an interstate or in a metropolitan area. But like in a national park or a quiet road out in the country I would consider it.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm not totally opposed to picking up a hitchhiker but I'm still uncomfortable with the idea. I realize that the vast majority of hitchhikers are not bad people but it only takes one for it to be a big mistake.

I've never hitchhiked before nor have I picked up any hitchhikers before.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
No. But I may open the car window less than 1/2 inch and offer them money and offer to send them a taxi. Or even dial 911 if they had serious issues. But no rides from me. Thats too dangerous.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was walking along the interstate one time with my male cousin after my car broke down. We took a ride from a stranger and even with my cousin with me it made me really nervous. If he hadn't been with me I would have walked the ten miles back to town before I would have gotten in the care with a stranger.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
When I was in my teens, my then buddy and I were taken to an amusement park about 6 miles outside the city limits by his foster dad. He and I went into the maze and got hopelessly lost. We finally got out and this dick foster dad of his split on us. So we started the long hike back and thumbing for rides. Not only were folks not stopping, but some changed lanes as they approached us, like we were going to leap out in front of them or something. Finally, after walking about 4 miles a VW van pulls over. A family of Indians, piss drunk, but super friendly. They drove us the rest of the way into town, offered us beer and a jar of change and all went well. The super wrinkly old grandma wouldn't stop shaking my hand though (a wee bit uncomfortable). My home city used to be known as the type of place where folks were still very neighborly and helpful, but I sure wasn't feelin' the love walking along the side of the road that day. (Steve, if you're out there, you're an asshole!)

- Cham

Last edited:

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I don't think I would stop for this hitchhiker...

but I think I'd be inclined to stop for this one...

... What were we talking about again? :D

- Cham

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It depends on where you live. I've picked up 1 person in SC because I knew his car was broke. In AK I picked them up all the time. In some places people are just trying to get somewhere, in other areas it seems like they are running from something. That may be too general, but it just doesn't seem safe where I live now compared to other places I've been.