Hitchhiker not original?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Tainted_Glory, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Tainted_Glory

Tainted_Glory Not a Scientologist

[Moved from a topic about age. Maledoro had stated that he was 42, the answer to the universe from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy]

Your age is the answer to the universe! By the way, someone I know read Venus on the Half Shell and said it was not plagerism. Completly different humor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007

2. maledoro

maledoro Strange Visitor

Re: How Old Are You ?

They might have been thinking of a different book. I remember reading Venus back in the mid-'70s and then reading HGTTG a few years later and noting the simularities.

According to this article, I'm not the only one who noticed.

[​IMG]

3. Tainted_Glory

Yes, similarities, But I thought you meant it was a copy and paste job.

4. maledoro

maledoro Strange Visitor

Well, considering that the article claimed:
    It's more than just an homage. No, it didn't steal the same names of characters and minor things like that, but considering that Adams used the same plot and plot devices and asked the same questions that were covered by Venus before, HGTTG is far from being original.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  5. Tainted_Glory

If there's one thing I've learned from my long life span of 14 years, it's that no one can come up with anything original anymore. People just borrow ideas from everywhere and either make them better, worse, or just combine them with other ideas.

6. maledoro

maledoro Strange Visitor

I can see taking a few minor things, but hijacking the plot and some other big things is pretty sad.
    [​IMG]

Anyhoo, let's get this back on topic!
    [​IMG]

7. Tainted_Glory

Yeah, I suppose I should take that to the author topic...

8. Tainted_Glory

ZOMG!!! DOUBLE POST!

Let the shouting match continu!
    I know for a fact that he was reading the same book. He thought I didn't know that it was published under (Farmer's?) pen name. So, there's no way he could be thinking bout a different book. Since I happen to be in the middle of The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul right now, it will be a while until I read this for my self, So, i'll have to take his word for it for a while. And I have a feeling that there are a lot of books out there that ask the same philisophical question. It's not like it's a particularly obscure question. Why are we here? I've been asking that since I was six. And maybe it was pure coincidence that they used some of the same plot devices? Or maybe he only got inspired by that book and couldn't help but put some of the elements from Venus on the Half Shell into the Hitch Hiker's Guide?

And now, to give my finger's a rest...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  9. maledoro

maledoro Strange Visitor

Like I said, by lifting more than just "some elements" and taking the overall premise, I wouldn't call it "inspiration".

What's kind of interesting is that I had Googled the keywords "Hitchhiker's Guide" and "Venus on the Half-Shell" in the same search, and several people had made the connection. What was amusing is one guy thought that Venus was a rip-off of HGTTG! If only he had bothered to read the copyright dates. Maybe he had, but was only in denial.

[​IMG]