Hip Hop vs Rap: Yes, there is a difference.

kajinpl

Registered Member
OK. I felt compelled to bring this up because............ let's face it, "RAP" has pretty much taken over what used to be Hip Hop. There was a time when the style used to have a message worth saying. You either wanted to have fun and dance or you could listen to it intellectually and really vibe with it. Just to really have something to say is what I call Hip Hop. Now, it's all about money, cars, clothes, sex and a bunch of other material nonsense. Pretty much where substance is non-existent and it has tons of corporate backing is what I call RAP.:urp:

I know most of you could care less about this genre of music, but there was a time when Hip Hop was good for everyone to listen to. In my opinion it just has been slowly warped to what we see now. I just want to hear the communities views on this.

Last edited:
Hip hop and rap used to have substance, flow and rhythm back then. As of 2008 90% of what they put out has no use, not even something I could dance to.

For example this and this and especially this guy are part of what I enjoy listening to now.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am not a big Rap fan, I prefer Hip Hop over it, since it's usually more upbeat, but sometimes I really enjoy listening to rap songs especially Tupac type of Rap, because his lyrics had meanings and it told a story. But overall I think Hip Hop is better.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
Hip hop is not rap, but rap is hip hop. (square & rectangle much I know) And yes the music industry has pimped out the game to the point that you are mostly getting the same 3 or 4 songs repackaged and sold over again. I like to refer to this as hip-pop. In my estimation this started to gain speed around the deaths of rappers Biggie and Tupac and was in full effect by about 1999 or 2000.

On a more positive note I believe that the internet, along with downloads and sites like myspace/crooklynclan, and technological advances in recording equipment could give the power back to the artists. With any luck, creativity, personal expression, artistic expression, and original ideas will once again be a larger and more important aspect of hip-hop music.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like some rap and some hip hop but you have to remember you can't have crap without rap.

Hip hop is not rap, but rap is hip hop. (square & rectangle much I know) And yes the music industry has pimped out the game to the point that you are mostly getting the same 3 or 4 songs repackaged and sold over again. I like to refer to this as hip-pop. In my estimation this started to gain speed around the deaths of rappers Biggie and Tupac and was in full effect by about 1999 or 2000.

On a more positive note I believe that the internet, along with downloads and sites like myspace/crooklynclan, and technological advances in recording equipment could give the power back to the artists. With any luck, creativity, personal expression, artistic expression, and original ideas will once again be a larger and more important aspect of hip-hop music.
Case and example: Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, etc

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
Case and example: Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, etc
All 3 artists definitely represent hip-hop through rap and creativity. No doubt that there are a chosen few who have been able to have mainstream success of course they are the minority. But on the other hand, 9th wonder isn't as well known but only one degree from Mos Def and doesn't get heavy radio play etc.

kajinpl

Registered Member
That is true, but that is also the sad thing. When did being intellectual become the minority? It has just gotten to the point where things are just no longer based on talent and people just eat it up like it's the best song ever made since sliced bread.