• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hip Hop: Past & Present

K

kajin_phoenixlord

Well, I thought it would be good to bring this topic up. I've been a hip hop fan for as long as I can remember. I still remember the days when hip hop was cool and fun to listen to. Different hip hop artists all had unique styles and 9 times out of 10 they were pretty tight. Hip of today is a lot different. There are only a select few hip hop artists that I can say are really unique. Most of the music I hear sounds the same. To me hip hop was a thing that was something where you could listen to and have fun and sometimes learn things, but I'm tired of always hearing about money, cars, women, strip clubs, drugs, etc. I think that hip hop has lost its way in a sense. What are you guys views on it?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Sad to say, I believe the reasons you pointed out are the reasons I strongly dislike rap today. Most of it is so fake and plastic that it's unbearable.

Hip-hop has lost it's way due to the glorification of the American ghettos. Trendspotters found that "the hard knock life" appealed to young folk and exploited it through rap music. Except now, because rap is so sensationalized, the appealing factor is the wealth of rappers. Thus, many may only be in it for the cash and that means a lot of cheap knock-off types and phonies.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some rappers are still pretty good. Especially the ones that comes from the south like: Lil Wayne and Birdman for a few example. There from the ghetto so they actually lived what there rapping about. But I agree where's Public Enemy or 2 Pac or Run DMC when you need them lol.

K

kajin_phoenixlord

I agree. There are some good rappers today like Ludacris, Nas, and Jay-Z at times. Some of my favorites though are Jurrassic 5, Mos Def, and Tech N9ne. The very good lyrically and they use word-play very well. One main thing that is missing in Hip Hip today is creative lyrics.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's true all the rappers lyrics now a days are pretty weak(except for a selected few). It dissapoints me....I only download old songs now because there just amzaing compared to the ones there making now

S

SF3P0X1

I totally agree, that's why my favorites aren't really known. Atmosphere and Just Us, for example. They still know how to wrap words around their fingers and show the rest of the music buisness what music and hip-hop is really about. A personal favorite is a hip-hop sound by Stetsasonic called Talkin' All That Jazz. If the rappers today could sound more like this I'd probably listen to more of their stuff.

I do have to admit, though, Eminem has a couple innovative songs. Not alot.

Blur

iPimp
Keep it underground homies. Papoose, krumbz, benefit, yukmouth, old eminem, tech 9, danger doom n some others is what i listen to. only mainstream artists i like are three6, and they jus receintly went mainstream.

K

kajin_phoenixlord

That's exactly what I'm about. Most of the best rappers out now are underground rapper. blur, you alreayd said it best, bruh. One of my best friends put me on to Tech N9ne among others and I haven't looked back since.

D

doingbrutalthings

Rap today is all about hoes, drugs, bitches, etc. The old time rappers are the best and really have a good meaning in their raps. I love underground music. As a matter of fact that is what I mostly listen to these days, especially Papoose.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Konshentz Music 4
Mirage Music 8
Minimint1 Music 0
psp_dude52 Music 11
EllyDicious Music 11