Hiking with Music?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Mirage, May 8, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

When/if you hike, do you do so while listening to music or not?

I never used to but I started to recently and it's kind of cool. I wouldn't listen to music if I was hiking with people but if I'm by myself it's kind of an extra way to keep moving.

I have only hiked with music once so far though and it was on a very intense hike that I was doing more for a workout/time trial than an actual hike.

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I do almost everything while listening to music. Hiking is no different. Granted, there are a lot of times when I take the music off, and just enjoy the sounds of nature or even better, the sound of absolutely nothing. But, yes, I do listen to music when I hike.

3. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

When I used to hike I always had at least one earphone in I found that it relaxed me and gave me the extra push I needed. But I have said in another thread I listen to music all the time :walkman:

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Whenever I go hiking I don't like to have music, I like to hear nature and all I want to be thinking about is pushing myself. (probably because most of the time when I go hiking it's pikes peak or the incline :hah:)

No but seriously when i go out into nature I enjoy the sounds of nature more than I would music, it's not often that I go hiking so I like to enjoy the experience entirely.

5. viLky

viLky ykLiv

No, never. I like listening to nature sounds, and you never know when a rattlesnake or bear is nearby if you're jamming to your tunes. I'll keep music for home and the car. =P

Oh, yes, plus the secret ninja mountain rapist. Those are really stealthy and will rape you if you're listening to your iPod while hiking.

Bananas likes this.
  6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I never have music on when out walking. It is more of a safety issue than anything else, you should keep your senses tuned in to the environment around you.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

You and your bros need to go explore other areas. There's so much awesome stuff in Colorado that puts Pikes to shame.

I don't listen to music when I hike. If I were doing it purely for exercise then maybe I would, but I hike more for recreation. I enjoy being part of nature and enjoying all the sounds around me.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm with Echoes. I'm out there for the peace and solitude as much as anything. Music would spoil that for me. I hardly ever get peace and quiet otherwise.

9. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I take my mp3 player everywhere I go. I just got a water proof one so I can surf with tunes. I tend to make soundtracks for the hike. depending on the season is the type of music I listen to.
    But to answer your question Brix, yes I do listen to my mp3 player while hiking, walking, boarding or biking soon to be surfing too.

10. matt_man

matt_man New Member

Ohh man i always go for walks with music, i need music, almost every day to be honest. Its probably my favorit thing to do. Last night i went for a walk at about midnight with my music and a smoke, i was as happy as could be :). But thats just me.