Hi, I'm new and need some ideas from others.

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by Jessizhot, May 5, 2009.

1. Jessizhot

Jessizhot New Member

Hi, my name is Jessica and I am a 27 year old mother of 5. The father of my children asked me to marry him and we cannot afford an expensive wedding, so I figured I would go somewhere where I can get ideas on how to raise the money. Surely someone out there has brilliant ideas. I have been racking my brain trying to think of things but I am inexperienced and have no family for help.

2. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

If I really and truly loved the guy I would just go to the courthouse and get married and bring my children to be there and be a part of the experience. A wedding doesn't have to be something big and expensive as long as you are marrying the person you truly love.

Unfortunately, I have no brilliant ideas on how to raise the money other than just cutting back and saving as much per month as possible and doing it in due time. Or if you really wanted to make it official now do it at the courthouse and then have a party or a wedding down the road when it is more affordable for you.

I can also suggest doing as much of the decorating and things like that on your own.
    theknot.com may have some suggestions on there for affordable weddings as well.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

If you cannot afford an expensive wedding, then don't have an expensive one. I wanted a simple wedding myself but had to invite a bunch of relatives. I told my parents I won't be inviting them unless my parents (who are the ones who want these relatives invited) pay for the extra cost of having a bigger wedding entourage. And they did.

Have a simple wedding (just invite the witnesses). If you want to wear a nice wedding dress, scout for places to rent (or even ebay items that you just need to resize). What I mean is before thinking of how to raise money, try to come up with your target budget first and this would need planning: decide how you want the wedding to be, what is necessary, what are the costs, and how to cut these costs.

4. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

An idea I heard about once was having your wedding sponsored. Like for example, if Company A does the flowers, you would place small, pretty cards by all the flowers that read "Flowers done by Company A" or something. Some companies may let you have the flowers (or whatever item) for free or at a big discount if do this. You can try this with the flowers, cake, and food.

Just an idea.

5. Rubedo

Rubedo Registered Member

I was going to suggest this. It's a nice, subtle way of saving money and you also give other people ideas too :p.

Also, weddings don't need to be in a church. How do you think atheists get married? (that time-worn, overused, but still somewhat funny joke)

Outdoor marriages are an alternative. The hard part isn't the money, it's finding a good spot. If you're already rich though, which I guess you aren't, you usually end up using a balcony or your pool for the grand ceremonies. Otherwise, there are many romantic hotspots or locations outdoors where weddings are held. The only real world value you'll be paying is undeveloped land that's been untouched for the purpose of having a romantic experience there.

I'm inspired to be married beneath a small white arch facing the edge of a cliff looking just over the ocean.

6. Wolfling

Wolfling Registered Member

I threw the big white wedding idea right out the window years ago. My arms are covered in tattoos and I can’t see myself in a big white dress. It holds no tradition or interest to me. I looked into it, sourced it, priced it … And I couldn’t morally spend that money on just one day – when the money could go to something else. You've already got such a good life, don't stress too much over the smaller details. Don't let people make you think your day will be any less special if it's not a huge over-priced event.

But if a big wedding is your thing it may just have to take a long time to save for. L

Something small and intimate would be just as cool though, and maybe just have a big reception for all your other friends afterwards, either at home, in your garden in the summer.

When I managed my last bar we held lots of wedding BBq's and it was bloody great fun. Really personal and a bit different.