• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Herpes virus to be used to fight carp

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A virulent strain of herpes virus will be released into the Murray-Darling river system in a bid to eradicate European carp, in what Science Minister Christopher Pyne has dubbed a "carp-aggedon".
Herpes virus to bring 'carp-ageddon' to Murray River pest, Pyne says

Going to be a lot of dead fish if it works out like they say it will. Hope they know what they are talking about and it doesn't kill other fish or hurt people.

thealigator

Registered Member
What I am intrigued by is what the need for the fight is? It doesn't actually say why they are releasing the virus. Is this due to Euro carps taking over native carps?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Apparently the European Carp are taking over, breeding like rabbits.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
So this let them know if the virus would damage those people in Israel eating the contaminated fish?
Or maybe they told those Israelis that the fish had that disease. Hmmmm......

And if that herpes spreads to other fish then people all over the planet could be eating contaminated fish. And what happens if that virus mutates - especially near places like Fukushima?

The article says it proves that people are safe if they eat the fish but they are only considering using the fish for pet food? And what corporation will get all those tonnes of free carp?

This article is seriously open-ended with tons of issues that the article isn't discussing.
Imo, the best solution would be just to let everyone fish the river for free and keep all the fish they can catch. Playing with viruses can be seriously unpredictable. Yeah, maybe it worked before but something bad could still happen...