Here's the problem with teleportation

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
assuming a device could be invented which would identify the quantum state of matter of an individual in one location and transmit that pattern to a different location for reassembly, you would not have transported the individual. You would have destroyed him in one location and recreated him in another.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
assuming a device could be invented which would identify the quantum state of matter of an individual in one location and transmit that pattern to a different location for reassembly, you would not have transported the individual. You would have destroyed him in one location and recreated him in another.
So . . . cut and paste.

Works for my homework, why not me?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
That's not a problem with teleportation. It's a misgiving about a proposed method of teleportation.

Yes, I have no sense of humor.

But a quantum teleporer would not have this problem. It would find a possibility where you are there, and collapse on it. Moving you instantly.

Wade8813

Registered Member
As long as it's a perfect duplicate (including memories etc), does it even matter? In fact, maybe it could be tweaked to be even better - it recreates you minus an injury, or whatever.

Yes, I have no sense of humor.
Either I don't either (quite possible, if you believe anything Chaos says (I don't know why anyone would... :rolleyes:)), or it wasn't funny in the first place. :-/

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Jeanie said:
That's not a problem with teleportation. It's a misgiving about a proposed method of teleportation.
Still, it's a reason I would never elect for teleportation of any kind, myself: If the individual is destroyed on one end, the individual coming out the other end would have no idea that he/she is not the original. Therefore, when you ask this new individual "Were you destroyed in teleportion, and thus merely a perfect copy of that which once was?" they will answer "Dude, no, it's awesome," believing it the truth, but really, it being a lie.

This is srs bizins, why was it posted in sub-talk?

Last edited: