• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Here’s how much you would need to afford rent in your state

Powerful

Registered Member

The minimum hourly wage required to afford rent on a two-bedroom apartment, of course, depends on where you live -- ranging from a low of $11.46 in some counties in Georgia to a high of $58.04 in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The most expensive state for housing is Hawaii, where workers would need to make $35.20 an hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment. They would need to make $33.58 in the District of Columbia, $30.92 in California, $28.27 in Maryland, and $28.08 in New York.

It's pretty sad that a full-time minimum wage worker can't afford to rent a two-bedroom apartment anywhere in the United States.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Gee, no wonder so many are homeless especially in some areas. The OP article says the national average is $892 a month for a 1br and $1,103 for a 2br. That is expensive.

You can rent a decent 2 br apt around here for about $400 to $500 a month.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Rent where I live is absurdly expensive. You'll pay about $900 a month to rent a 700 square feet. If you want a nicer apartment or a house, you'll be paying $1,600 to $2,000 a month. Too many people are moving here, which is driving the cost of rent sky high. Good news is they are building thousands of new apartments at the moment so that should help balance things out in the near future.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Different areas of my city have different rents. The more affordable the rent, the more chance of getting robbed or stabbed while unlocking door to said rental place lol. For about 600-800 CAD a month though you can get a somewhat decent apartment, in a somewhat decent neighbourhood, but on minimum wage, that's literally the only thing you'll be able to afford lol, is the rent. Forget hydro bills, water bills, food etc.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
That's so totally wrong. People that work should have affordable housing and not be homeless. I don't rent but I know somebody that built an apartment complex here in OK and he charges people $1,500 a month for 2 bedrooms. The map, in the OP, shows $14.78 for this state but I haven't seen any apartments here that could support... unless they're in a really messed up part of the city. Trump srsly needs to wake up.

Impaired

Registered Member

It's pretty sad that a full-time minimum wage worker can't afford to rent a two-bedroom apartment anywhere in the United States.
It is pretty sad that grown adults work minimum wage jobs. Even sadder that people will start families while working on minimum wage jobs.

It is proven that raising minimum wages only hurts employment. Just look at Seattle.

If a job is worth more, it pays more. If a job is one that can be done by your twelve year old kid with minimal training, it doesn't pay well.

I worked a lot of crappy jobs for low pay. I wound up joining the USAF and getting trained in a skill that pays better than that.

In fact, it was while working at Geno's (olden days fast food) on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ making crap money that I joined the USAF.

People seem to think that you should be able to do any job and make enough to support a family. That is insane.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
So, the point is...? That only skilled workers should be allowed to have temporary housing?
I have IT class skills in coding and some electronic skills. Fine. But what about people with low learning potentials who may never be skilled workers? Work full time and be homeless?

This is the U.S., not Khabarovsk. Those are people, not Amur tigers, and there's something called the American dream, right? So the tigers have their own dens but the new American dream is to pay rent to landlords and developers. Imo, there's something srsly wrong with that picture. Imo, the issue should be that everyone doesn't own their own house, Not that people can't work and afford temporary housing.

Impaired

Registered Member
So, the point is...? That only skilled workers should be allowed to have temporary housing?
I have IT class skills in coding and some electronic skills. Fine. But what about people with low learning potentials who may never be skilled workers? Work full time and be homeless?

This is the U.S., not Khabarovsk. Those are people, not Amur tigers, and there's something called the American dream, right? So the tigers have their own dens but the new American dream is to pay rent to landlords and developers. Imo, there's something srsly wrong with that picture. Imo, the issue should be that everyone doesn't own their own house, Not that people can't work and afford temporary housing.
No, that wasn't the point.

The point is you are not expected to raise a family on minimum wage.

Minimum wage jobs are WHERE YOU START. Where you don't make enough to live in your own place so you and some friends share an apartment until you get a job where you can afford your place.

It doesn't matter where you are. Rent is for people who cannot afford to buy. I don't see the problem with that.

There will always be people who cannot learn, or who cannot physically do certain jobs. This is the nature of the Universe. You can call it cruel, but that is silly. It just is. Fire isn't cruel. It just is - if you get burnt you can assign it motives but it really doesn't have any..

People who cannot perform work worth more money will not be able to buy nice houses on minimum wage jobs. Foolish is expecting this to happen. They raise the minimum wage and minimum wage employment contracts.

Toll collectors in my state get between $10-$16 an hour. Given the nature of the job, that seems high to me. I'd think a dishwasher should make more.

People without the skills, the physical ability or whatever need to have help. From family, from the community, from the government.

There is no minimum wage for most jobs for a reason. It doesn't work.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
... The point is you are not expected to raise a family on minimum wage...
... You can call it cruel, but that is silly. It just is. Fire isn't cruel. It just is - if you get burnt you can assign it motives but it really doesn't have any...
Tell the packs of stray dogs and cats, lol. They have limited learning potentials too but they don't support planned parenthood.
You make legit points that could work in a perfect world...

And no, I don't call it cruel. Dangerous, maybe? People are animals too and pets aren't a serious hazard... Strays are.
Not some awesome condo or villa, not even a beach bungalow. But even a shack they could call home could keep the strays off the streets and reduce crime and home invasions. It may have even saved ancient Rome from all those sackings, Marie Antoinette's head, and the Tsar's family from the Bolsheviks.
I mean, rooftop heliports = a precaution, not a guarantee...

Impaired

Registered Member
?