Helping the Poor

Turbo

Registered Member
I know some people might hate me for this but it's been bugging me to no avail.

Everyday I see commercials about sending money to another country to help some child or family that is barely surviving. ENOUGH, there are people in THIS COUNTRY who need the same help.

Why do we have to solve the problems of poor civilizations in other countries when we can't help our own.

I feel that with the impending failure of our economy and eventually the worldwide economy that it's time to put things in order. Take care of good ol' USA and those living in it first and let everyone else fend for themselves.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I agree with you Turbo. It's time we start helping our own people here in the states instead of trying to play Big Brother to the rest of the world. I would love to know the actual dollar figures that the US people have sent elsewhere instead of helping our own.
I am so sick of seeing those commercials begging for us to send just 1 cent a day or more to 3rd world countries to help them. I wonder if those commercials are seen in other parts of the world?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree and I cant help but laugh when Adam Corolla makes this great point to. He says that the Buy American is more than just Cars, that look at Angelina Jolie... she's collecting these third world country born kids and bringing them here, raising them with a platinum spoon in their mouth when we've still got American Born Orphans that need a home just as bad.

I agree, shouldnt we as a country settle our own issues before we take on everyone elses? It just seems like a recipe for destruction when we're pumping so much time, money, and effort into other places while our own metaphorical backyard is burning down.

Turbo

Registered Member
good question surfer, though the only other countries i could see it aired in is the european nations as those aren't countries that they're begging for help for.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
Yeah. This sort of thoughts have always sprang up in my mind too.

We need to sort out our own country before we can help others. There are plently of people in our own countries that need help but we still get asked for help by other countries. I'm not saying we shouldn't help other countries, because we should. It's just we need to sort ourselves out before we start to help others.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
You have poor people in the US? :shocked:

(need I put sarcasm tags?)

I remember during the Katrina hurricane, it was a shocking for some of my American acquaintances to actually see those people in need on the television. They said "this can't be happening, it looks like the people in third world countries". :lol: So yeah, I don't think a lot would think that there are actually people who are poor and in need, in a rich country.

As for the advertisements, I was thinking of it the other day when I saw a booklet at my doctor's office. I only needed to give 5 euros a month and it can feed and clothe a child in some country. That's quite impressive. Here, the 5 euros isn't even enough to buy a pack of cigarettes (not that the poor would think of buying it first). But if I were given a choice who to give my 5 euros, I'd probably give it to that child in another country because it'll have the bigger impact than giving it here. It's also easier to market than making a brochure asking for your monthly contribution of 200 dollars to feed and clothe someone.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm not saying we shouldn't help other countries, because we should. It's just we need to sort ourselves out before we start to help others.
My sentiments exactly.

If we as a country be it the States, England, France, anyone... neglect our own fellow citizens and spend all the effort helping other places. Eventually that spells disaster to us. And people throw out the, "well if you dont help the other countries, they'll just implode - explode - whatever plode into oblivion". I cant help but think, yeah that may be true, but what are we going to do when we keep helping them, then things on our soil get so irreversable that we just end up not having the means to help anyone and thus making us as needy as them?

It just seems more logical that Me as an Individual, I cant help anyone until I myself am solid. I love helping other people and do all the time, but when I'm a mess.... I need to focus on me before I'm any use to anyone else. Why would a Nation be any different?

Turbo

Registered Member
5 euros a month sounds good, but do the math and thats 60 a year. it might not seem like much but that could be the difference between being homeless or not to someone in your own country.

it should not be the responsibility of richer nations to take care of the third world nations if we didn't make them poor. we create our own poor and should take care of those before even thinking about helping the third worlders.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
5 euros a month sounds good, but do the math and thats 60 a year. it might not seem like much but that could be the difference between being homeless or not to someone in your own country.
Yes, but 60 euros here is short term fix. The result is not as amazing as what my 60 euros can do for someone else in another country. Of course, I'm just talking about my preferences if given a choice, and not what I want my country to do.

it should not be the responsibility of richer nations to take care of the third world nations if we didn't make them poor. we create our own poor and should take care of those before even thinking about helping the third worlders.
In a way, we do make some poor countries poorer especially when we have a hand on how their government was set up or when we impose international policies that affect their economy. However, in these cases, donating money to them doesn't really help in the long run.

I do think that the government, before making extravagant donations to other countries (it's good PR btw and a way to make that country feel grateful for your help), should think of spending that money on local programs first. Start charity at home. Although I can already imagine that even if the government does that, you'd still have people not being happy because their taxes help other poor people. Something like "they don't need charity, why should the rich pay for the poor...."

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The poor people in these other countries are a lot worse off than the poor people in the United States. Like, lucky to be living in a tiny shack with a steel roof and a dirt floor, no running water or electricity, if not homeless. The living conditions just don't even begin to compare to what homeless people have in the US. Those countries can't afford to help their own people. There's no jobs and no money for them to turn their lives around. So I don't see anything wrong with donating to charities to help them.