• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Helping Raise Siblings

Wade8813

Registered Member
How do you feel about kids helping to raise their younger siblings? Do you think it robs the older kids of their childhood (and risks the younger kids being raised poorly)? Do you think it builds responsibility?

shelgarr

Registered Member
Generally it falls outside the scope of being a kid, an adolescent, and an emerging adult. Hell....isn't that why we ask our young people to wait before the decide to reproduce. There are certainly special circumstances that older siblings are pushed into and it's touching when they come through it successfully. It's hard though....and all kids need parents.

viLky

ykLiv
I feel a kid should be a kid. As the kid grows older he/she should take MORE responsibility for themselves: EX.: cleaning their room, doing their share of the dishes, doing their laundry. Taking care of themselves rather than their siblings.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Everyone should experience a proper childhood. You shouldn't have to demonstrate that much responsibility so early on in your life. There's plenty of time for that when you become an adult.

To answer your question, it'd definitely build responsibility but I don't think it would be fair to put that sort of pressure on them. Not every kid would have what it takes and that could probably do a lot of damage.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't think an older sibling should take full responsibility for a younger sibling's care, but I do believe that a lot of experience and knowledge can be gained from helping taking care of their sibling.

My father and his wife had 2 more children when I was around the ages of 14 and 16. I helped change their diapers, bathe them, babysat them, etc. I was very involved with helping raise them. I believe that it helped me a lot. Not only am I not nervous or scared around babies, but I know how to take care of them, and realized how much work it was to take care of a baby. I never romanticized having one and thinking it would be so great because babies are so cute. I think if a lot of teens had that experience, they would be more careful about getting pregnant at their age.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
How do you feel about kids helping to raise their younger siblings? Do you think it robs the older kids of their childhood (and risks the younger kids being raised poorly)? Do you think it builds responsibility?
I participated a lot in being "responsible" for my younger siblings. I don't see it as helping raising them. That's a big role. I'm just playing a natural part of family role "the older sibling". I didn't feel robbed off my childhood, even if I played this role since I was a child. And yes, it helped me be more responsible and nurturing - in the sense that I'm aware I have to be a role model and caring for my siblings also became a natural part of me.