Help, neighbor crisis at hand

Okay let me fill you in. Our nextdoor neighbor, whom we've lived with in peace for at least 10 years is getting mad at us. Why? Because according to him our two cats have been using the bathroom in his yard when we let them out and he's got patches of dead grass to prove it. Both he and my father like to keep our lawns fresh and well cut when summer hits.

However, our neighbor says he puts down fertillizer on the lawn for some reason and he even went to my father's job to complain about it to people. Everyone is laughing at him behind his back because apparently fertillizer doesn't help out grass in the slightest, and what's worse is that our cats thinks it's a place to use the bathroom since fertillizer has a certain smell so really he kinda dug himself a hole. Then our neighbor has resorted to putting cages around his grass to prevent more of a mess and then he has put up stakes to mark his side of the property, but the stakes are a little bit on our side.

Now things are getting a little worse, now he doesn't like the tree that's also in the front lawn and this tree has been around for years now and never was a problem before. On top of it all according to my father our neighbor remarked that "we won't even know the cats are gone," to which my dad says that he's holding him responsible if the cats turn up missing. To put it simply: he's being a prick.

Any ideas on what to do before my family has no cats and a lawsuit takes place?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Okay let me fill you in. Our nextdoor neighbor, whom we've lived with in peace for at least 10 years is getting mad at us. Why? Because according to him our two cats have been using the bathroom in his yard when we let them out and he's got patches of dead grass to prove it. Both he and my father like to keep our lawns fresh and well cut when summer hits.

However, our neighbor says he puts down fertillizer on the lawn for some reason and he even went to my father's job to complain about it to people. Everyone is laughing at him behind his back because apparently fertillizer doesn't help out grass in the slightest, and what's worse is that our cats thinks it's a place to use the bathroom since fertillizer has a certain smell so really he kinda dug himself a hole. Then our neighbor has resorted to putting cages around his grass to prevent more of a mess and then he has put up stakes to mark his side of the property, but the stakes are a little bit on our side.

Now things are getting a little worse, now he doesn't like the tree that's also in the front lawn and this tree has been around for years now and never was a problem before. On top of it all according to my father our neighbor remarked that "we won't even know the cats are gone," to which my dad says that he's holding him responsible if the cats turn up missing. To put it simply: he's being a prick.

Any ideas on what to do before my family has no cats and a lawsuit takes place?
He should invest in a fence and shut the fuck up because he's being a child about the whole ordeal. You can't tell your cats what to do and I'm assuming they're outdoor cats, so bringing them indoors will most likely not do anything good for the cats.

Arcadoc

Registered Member
I see one answer to your dilemma. Put a litter box in your yard, in an inconspicuous place, and sprinkle some odor attractant in it:

Then introduce your cats to it. They will naturally start using that box instead of going over to his yard. After a short while, remove the box, but leave the litter in the same place, with attractant in it. Eventually, you can do away with the attractant, and later the litter, and your cats will use your yard instead of his. Best of all, your neighbor will see that you are doing what is the neighborly and responsible thing, and your friendship should be healed.

Last edited:
The cats are in his yard, and while in most cases it's fine and people don't care, however it looks as if they are being a nuisance to him. Is the damage directly linked to your cats? Who knows, somebody needs to get proof.

The bottom line is you need to keep your cats inside, build a bigger fence or train them to not go into other people's yards. I know, it sucks, but you are a pet owner you and need to take responsibility when your pets damage or become a nuisance to somebody else.

The cats are staying inside for the moment and they'll be pissed.

As for the damage, I did mention that he was putting down fertillizer on his own lawn and it tends to smell.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ok unless your cats are those Feral Giant Cats..... you've got to be kidding me. I mean seriously you put it right when you said he's being a prick about it. We have 8 different cats that wander around our house, (we live in the country) and yet our lawn is fine.

Those cats really dont crap in massive piles like dogs do :hah: And usually the more domesticated cats will even go through the effort of burying the waste.

it just kinda blows my mind really, I've never fully understood the concern over having a "Better homes and gardens" calibre lawn.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
You should just offer to clean it up for him when they do it. Cats never do poopy in their own garden.
If his cats are outdoor cats, this would require him following the cats around all day because he'll never know when the cats go and chances are by then, their waste will have been around long enough to damage the lawn.

Ok unless your cats are those Feral Giant Cats..... you've got to be kidding me. I mean seriously you put it right when you said he's being a prick about it. We have 8 different cats that wander around our house, (we live in the country) and yet our lawn is fine.

Those cats really dont crap in massive piles like dogs do :hah: And usually the more domesticated cats will even go through the effort of burying the waste.

it just kinda blows my mind really, I've never fully understood the concern over having a "Better homes and gardens" calibre lawn.
My cats are just a little over a year old and are indoor/outdoor cats, mostly indoor now that my neighbor has subtlely threatened them.

Bliss said:
You should just offer to clean it up for him when they do it. Cats never do poopy in their own garden.
Ah if it were that simple but I don't know where they go when they go outside and that would mean I'd have to walk across his lawn daily, even during work hours.