• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

HELP NEEDED! Reformatting w/USB Stick

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Okay so if any of you have been wondering why I've been MIA lately, it's because both mine and my family's computers have shit the bed. I have a spare laptop but the problem is that it's a Dell Latitude D420, a little guy with no CD drive. It's a computer that was given to me by my old boss because they were going to trash it. Nothing is wrong with it, it's just outdated. I need to reformat it however since it's framework has been heavily altered by the techies who set up computers for employees.

I need to know, is there any legitimate way to create a USB stick that will reformat my system?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Blueyes

Registered Member
heck ya, just get a usb stick big enough to put the windows setup software on it and make sure the usb is the first to run versus the hd in the bios and reformat and reload.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
You can actually get a small version of windows to run off a usb drive. You will have to look into it on google, but I know it's possible. Then you can just boot from your usb and it will run a small and slow version of windows.

As far as booting to install, I think I tried and failed miserably one time.

I would suggest you buy a usb cd drive. But you would have to use the boot from usb drive method I talked about above to run mini-windows, install the drivers for the usb cd drive to the internal hard drive of the laptop, then boot from a windows cd. (Then when all is said and done, take the cd drive back.)

Blueyes

Registered Member
not the setup disks because mine fit on 700mb, of course i only use XP too so it depends on what you are putting on yours.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You're on the right track Storm, but I need to reinstall Windows without a CD drive. I'm going to check out Scissor's torrent link. Thanks a ton Scissors, but I'd get rid of the link since it's against GF's policies.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Last edited: