• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Help me to quit coffee!

Interis

Registered Member
Well, not exactly myself, but my father. I think he is getting too addicted on coffee. Now he drinks 4 big cups a day (I think it's roughly 500 ml each). He usually drinks the one mixed with milk so it's not too thick. Lately, he adds more black coffee to make the taste stronger. I'm worried because he also has hypertension. Any tip is much appreciated!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If he really likes it you probably aren't going to get him to stop drinking it. He will have to decide to stop on his own. If you harass him about it you are just going to make him mad. You might have better luck at getting him to cut down on it.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
I would probably let the doctors handle it. The older people in my family have the attitude that there's a pill for everything. There's also a pill to manage the side effects from the original dose. So, there's no need to change diet or lifestyle. I used to go toe to toe with them, but have stopped arguing about the little things. That way when something major happens with health issues, they actually listen to me.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Coffee is not bad for you you, it's the sugar and whatnot that you put in it that is bad for you. That is why I drink mine black.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Let the man live. Coffee is something that man enjoys deeply. Trust me, it helps keeps his blood pressure down.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
So recently I went to the doctor and my blood pressure is through the roof and I believe it is because of the coffee I drink or the caffeine in general.

I am on decaf now and hope it helps. I am going to check it in a few weeks to see and to be honest the lack of caffeine isn't effecting me so I hope it'll improve.

FYI I drink it straight black and put nothing else in it....caffeine is the issue for me and I'm not missing it.

Sorry to hijack the thread though. I did this cold turkey but the option of decaf is a nice placebo or sorts. He's only going to change if he wants to change but you can let him know it is possible!

Impaired

Registered Member
Well, not exactly myself, but my father. I think he is getting too addicted on coffee. Now he drinks 4 big cups a day (I think it's roughly 500 ml each). He usually drinks the one mixed with milk so it's not too thick. Lately, he adds more black coffee to make the taste stronger. I'm worried because he also has hypertension. Any tip is much appreciated!
4 cups a day? What a lightweight.

Although lately I drink 3 at most, for most of my life everyone I lived with drank coffee and I drank a dozen or more cups a day. 2 or 3 in the morning, 2 more by lunch, a couple in the afternoon, coffee after dinner. My mother in law used to have coffee before bed, but I can't really drink it after 9pm if I want to sleep at a normal hour.

That said, if it puts him at risk, maybe try that half-decaf stuff and try weaning to decaf.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
My father was in the same boat, only he had to quit coffee because he had a heart attack. He quit by adding decaffeinated coffee to his regular coffee. Eventually, he went to half-caf, and now he only drinks decaf. It wasn't too hard for him, either. Sometimes it takes a wake-up call like a heart attack to make a person reevaluate their choices.

Interis

Registered Member
I guess quitting is hoping too much. I don't want to torture him that bad either, but just decrease the frequency or caffeine content a bit. Some people I know have experiences [email protected] so we can't help getting worried. (Don't worry about hijacking the thread, btw, because I don't think you do! Also, I'm sorry to hear about your blood pressure, let me know how it goes with your new diet.) He also complains about stomachache which happens more often lately. I sure wish he doesn't need another wake-up call stronger than that.

I did read some journals which couldn't prove the connection between coffee and hypertension risk, though. I wonder why some can drink so much but keeping the blood pressure in check.

Which decaffeinated coffee brand works for you guys?

Last edited: