Help me pick a company name :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NINnerd, Jul 11, 2010.

?

Choose your favorite company name, or suggest one!

1. See Jane Proof

15.4%
  2. Perfectionist Proofreading

7.7%
  3. Perfection Proofreading

7.7%
  4. Miss Perfect Proofreading

7.7%
  5. The Proofreading Perfectionist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. OCD Proofreading

15.4%
  7. I don't like any/can't decide, so I'll suggest something!

46.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

So, I need a company name to put on business cards and flyers. I will be doing freelance proofreading and technical writing. Note 1: I will not be doing editing, so I don't want a name with the word "edit" in it at all. Note 2: My first name is Jane.

I'm going to put some of the names I've come up with in a poll, but I'll have an option for you to suggest some.

PLEASE help me! Haha. I've thought about it so long that I can't see straight.

Thank you!
    ------
    ETA: I went ahead and chose the "can't decide" option so I can see the results. :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010

2. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

I suggest naming it Jane's Review

3. lkhwb

lkhwb Registered Member

A name with proofreading only in it doesn't encompass the technical writing aspect. So some may not realise that you do both.

You could go with your own name and a tag line - ie Jane Doe, tech writer and proof reader extraordinaire ... yanno, something like that. That way you are not limited by your business name.

Lisa

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

see jane proof isn't obvious what it's about unless I'm missing something obvious

miss perfect proofreading sounds somewhat amateur to me

I like OCD proofreading, actually. It's quirky but not overly unprofessional. My second choice would be one of the ones with the word 'perfectionist' in.

EDIT: but I do agree with Lisa...

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

How about See Jane Proofread? I know it's longer but it still relates back to what you're referencing in my opinion and it makes what your business is about clearer. I also like OCD Proofreading but I voted for the first one.

6. NINnerd

That might suggest that I write reviews. But neat idea!

I hadn't realized this, but you are right. On the card, under the company name, it says: "Quality Proofreading & Technical Writing". But that might not be enough.

Good points. I want it to be obvious.

I've thought of See Jane Proofread, and I just don't think it rolls off the tongue. You know?

I like the OCD thing, too. It's kinda quirky and funny.

Anyone have any ideas that would encompass both Proofreading AND Technical Writing? It doesn't have to say those things in the title, but I can't think of how not to.

OCD Productions ??

Perfect Print ??

Perfect Print Productions ??

Remember, the business card will look like this:

TITLE
    Quality Proofreading & Technical Writing

Thank you, everyone!

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

As long as the suggestion is put correct then it does not matter to much what it might suggest. If under the company name it states what the company does you can just about call the company anything within reason.

The most important factor is make it something memorable, relevant and if you can unique.

Of the ones you have suggested the only one that stands out for me is the OCD one, but then you have to ask is it a good idea to call your business after a disorder! If you chose any of the others and asked me tomorrow what your company was called I'd of already forgotten, they may be significant to you(your name) but to everyone else they might be forgettable. Now with that in mind you have to consider your clientèle is it going t o be primarily for people you most likely already know(in which case your name is okay) or for people you dont know or large corps (in which case a name is forgettable).

Anyway typing this a couple of quirky ones that spring to mind would be;

Function7 , or F-Seven, or try and be clever and nerdy and use ɛf/7

or some more

Wise Words
    By-the-Letter
    Grammacurrate
    Stilus

NINnerd likes this.
  8. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

Proof Positive
    Quality Proofreading & Technical Writing

:D

9. NINnerd

Bananas - My initial thoughts are: I do want the name to have *something* to do with what I do, only because it will be the first thing people read, and it'll be what I'm referenced by.
    But I've gone back and forth on this. I could pick something neat and relevant to me as a person, but that doesn't have to do with proofing and tech writing, per se.

What does F7 mean? Any other ideas?

The OCD one was said as a joke, and then people liked it. I have OCD, which is why I said it.

Saffy - That's cute! I'll keep it in mind. :)

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Of course it can have something to what you do, but if you state you are "proofreading and technical writing" people wont confuse review with anything else.

My main problem with these types of names is that first names are very informal and should be reserved for car lots, gardeners and the occasional bohemian music bar. As it is a profesional service you are providing either go for something that makes you look like a company with a proper company name or make it clear you are a sole professional freelancer and include your full name plus any relevant letters you may have followed by a clear description of what you do.

eg.
    Jane NINnerd MPhil
    Technical Writing and Proof Reading

or go for something completely separated from you. Where nobody knows if it is one person or 20 people.

eg
    Nota Bena

Technical Writing and Proof Reading

It is the keyboard shortcut for spellcheck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.