• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Help me diagnos a problem?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Alright so whenever I play a graphics intensive program such as STALKER or Titan Quest, my game will run perfectly for about 5 minutes and then lag like a crippled drunk. Funny thing is, this lasts for about a minute or two then the game is fine . . . for another 5 minutes. The cycle keeps repeating. My computer should be more than powerful enough to run these games (I even chuckle when I call them "graphics intensive") I thought I heard the fan kick on/off when the game returned to normal speed so I'm wondering if my system may be overheating but I couldn't feel signs of it.

Also, my antivirus (Avast!) is on silent/gaming mode during play and I've scanned for malware twice. Any ideas what is causing this or should I post specs?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
That must be frustrating. Have you noticed whether or not Task Manager shows a maxed-out CPU usage during the lags?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It doesn't. That's the first thing I checked. I also don't have anything but basic programs running while I'm playing.

I'll post the specs anyways:

HP Desktop p6130y
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core Processor 2.4Ghz
8 GB RAM
64-bit OS Windows Vista Home Premium
NVidia GeForce 9100

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Restart to the "F8 boot menu" and run the memory diagnostic tool. It should tell you if the issue is your RAM (and that's what it sounds like).

I've had issues with Avast slowing my computer down or not working well at all in Windows 7, I recommend switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. It auto-updates with Windows Update.

You're using 8gb of RAM, too. Are you mixing different brands/types of RAM?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
One likely culprit is your NVIDIA chipset. The 9100 is hard pressed to maintain a smooth fps ratio in the increasingly graphics-intensive games that are vying for consumer cash these days. Has this lag issue been consistent from the get-go?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Restart to the "F8 boot menu" and run the memory diagnostic tool. It should tell you if the issue is your RAM (and that's what it sounds like).

I've had issues with Avast slowing my computer down or not working well at all in Windows 7, I recommend switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. It auto-updates with Windows Update.

You're using 8gb of RAM, too. Are you mixing different brands/types of RAM?
I'll give it a try and no I'm not mixing RAM. I'll cut Avast! and see what I get. I'm a bit nervous leaving my system's security up to Microsoft though and with gaming/silent mode, this shouldn't happen.

One likely culprit is your NVIDIA chipset. The 9100 is hard pressed to maintain a smooth fps ratio in the increasingly graphics-intensive games that are vying for consumer cash these days. Has this lag issue been consistent from the get-go?
It's only been recently, that's why I'm worried if I need a new fan or fuck's sake, another graphics card.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'll give it a try and no I'm not mixing RAM. I'll cut Avast! and see what I get. I'm a bit nervous leaving my system's security up to Microsoft though and with gaming/silent mode, this shouldn't happen.
That's up to personal preference, I think. I just like MSE because it fits seamlessly into Windows and it has, so far, picked up all of the virus related issues I've had. I think the problem is with your RAM, though. It seems to me like your RAM isn't cycling out "older" information.

Have you tried increasing the size of your page file?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I tried that, no help, found that while Googling.

I just cleaned out my heatsink and dusted the rest of my computer from the inside out. So far my core temperature dropped 30 degrees so that may be the answer. Let me play some games and see if I get the same problems again.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah if that didn't fix it it looks like a really bad graphics card for a lot of people.

geforce 9100 sudden FPS drop - NVIDIA Forums

Apparently you aren't the only one that's had serious issues with that card.

Cleaning it out should make it better but I don't think it will make it work really well again.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
My problem is gone for the moment. I found that forum too, Dave.

If I had the money, I'd upgrade. Trust me.