Help making a cable.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Doc, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'm trying to hook my computer up to my LCD television. It has a VGA input and my computer has a mid grade 256mb GeForce. I don't have the money to buy the proper cables or I'd just do that.

I have two oldish monitors that I cut the cables off of and attached in the middle to create the new cable from them. Everything is properly attached and I even practiced once on a separate cable and ensured there's no shorts in the line but my TV still can't get a signal from my computer.

A few of the "what could have went wrong" brainstorms I have are that the new cable isn't properly shielded where they connect, there is a short and I need to cut the cable and try again, LCDs use a different type of VGA cable, or since the cables came from different manufacturers they have different pinouts from one another and what is one color on one cable doesn't match a color on another cable.

Any help or branstorming at all will be greatly appreciated.

2. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

I know this isn't very helpful at all, but that just seems like an idea that just wants to fight you every step of the way. Good luck though.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Thanks, and you're right.

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

If you haven't already fixed the problem...

I'd make sure that you have your VGA input enabled on your TV cause I just helped someone do this on Monday and we had to enable the VGA connection on the TV. I literally had to select an option that said "Turn on VGA Connection" I thought it was ridiculous but it worked after that.

5. elcaminojoe

elcaminojoe Registered Member

So from what I understand it's "VGA out from computer" ---> "VGA in to TV", correct? Well did you get like a pinout diagram of the wires and splice them correctly? Verify that, and then maybe they have to be reversed, like a crossover cable for networking...? just an idea. and sheilding wouldn't hurt either. Idk.

these kinds of things are so fun though. I was so psyched when I made an RCA to S-video cable by splicing shit i found in my closet. It was way cheaper than 25 bucks at Radio Shack.... :) hope you get something working.