• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Help....lol

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
Ok....so I have been out the last couple of days trying to clear away a bunch of stuff...bushes and grass and other unknown whatevers....I have a question....well a couple of questions. I have a TON of blackberry bushes, some of them on the back fence I have no problem hanging around. but there are others hanging out in my yard that I don't like and don't want them there, I have bought stuff that specifically says it kills blackberries....hmmm didn't work they are growing back in the same spot : ( any way to get rid of these? also I have the azalea plant that my friend gave me for my birthday and I need to get it in the ground. what do I need to buy to plant it with. The dirt in the flower bed is just dirt. LOL but do I need any bagged dirt stuff?

k that's it for now hehehe

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
For the azaleas... you can pretty much just plant those anywhere with some manure and dirt... they flourish in most any dirt except for desert sand. As far as the blackberries, gotta make sure to kill off the root, those are one tree/plant/bush that will grow from the smallest piece left and dont forget to make sure no other seeds were dropped behind.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
er..,. *thinks how small a blackberry seed is* good lord! I need to get a magnifying glass :stare:

thanks Iggy, well I turned the dirt all under in the flower bed and it looks pretty good to me I guess......dirt....Manure *eeeeewww*! :-o So maybe I will just stick in there. It is already starting to bloom I noticed today will it hurt it to transplant it with buds on it?

leopard22

Registered Member
I've got a black thumb as far as plants go, but I do know a thing or two about blackberries as we have a whole mess of blackberry bushes that have now gone wild.

My father tried to remove them but, yes, even a tiny bit of the bush or seeds will grow again (and did). Now the birds get them before we have a chance because they grow so haphazardly that it's not possible to pick the berries without full body armor on :) unless you enjoy getting scratched to death.

As for the azaleas, you should be able to transplant them if they're just budding, as long as there is no danger of frost on the horizon. I'd add a little bit of manure in the mix if you're going to put them in soil you're not really sure of the composition of just to help get them started right.

Keep us informed of how they do and if you can tame the blackberry beasts.:D

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
well I have just been cutting the blackberry bushes back....this I do with full body armour as well LOL they are dangerous! :-o

I sprayed them again as well. I guess if I keep spraying and cutting them they might go away eventually :-/ Like I said I don't mind them at the bottom of the yard along the fence. that's kinda cool to have some fresh blackberries during the summer. I just don't want them taking over the entire yard which it seems like they are trying to do. I find blackberry shoots not anywhere near where the blackberries are down below. what a pain!

I haven't planted the azalea yet. I will go to the store and find something to add to the dirt to make it better I guess. I have a hydrangia (spelling) does that take special fertilizer? It's like light purple in colour, I cut it way way back instead of taking it out to see if it will come back nicely :)

anyway that's it for now lol
------
ok so I went into town today and got some potting soil, it's to dark now but in the morning I will go and mix it all in with the dirt in the flower bed and get the azalea in the ground. Also I bought a birdbath. I was looking at a fountain, but they were a little more expensive. Maybe later LOL but I got the cutest little bird bath with a bunny on it and it will go nicely with the bunny bird feeder that I have had for 3 years and have never used :-/

but hey I'm working on it! :D

Last edited:

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
You are finding the blackberry shoots everywhere because birds eat the berry, and poo the seeds. One of those interesting naturey things ;)

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
nice to know the birds are using my yard for their personal poo ground :D

leopard22

Registered Member
Bird's will do that (as will bunny rabbits and deer where I live - this is kind of gross, but my dog likes to pick out seeds from what the deer leave behind while they are nibbling on my tulips and just about any other nice-looking plant out there in the yard) ... just be glad that it doesn't usually land on you while you're gardening:D

We don't have a birdbath, but do have a hummingbird feeder and used to have a couple of little ones drop by all the time. But then our neighbor got a hummingbird feeder too and she stole our hummingbirds! Well, OK, her garden is nicer so I'm sure they'd rather hang out in her yard, but our food looks nicer than hers ;)

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
hehe

well we have deer here too but I have a six foot fence around my yard so they can't get in! they just nibble on the stuff that goes through the fence which is fine with me. they keep it trim :)

Well I went into town today and could not find any more azalea's that I liked. (not the right colour) so they told me that they will be getting lots more in as soon as the weather straightens out. So I will wait. In the meantime I bought 8 pansies of different colours, purple, white and some burgandy red ones. They didn't have any pink :mad:

So tomorrow after church I will be planting again LOL I'm so excited i'ts funny. Actually this is kinda fun :D

leopard22

Registered Member
Our deer are really ingenious. We tried everything and finally had to put up an 8 foot chain link fence around the veggie garden. Even that I've been told they could jump, but it's too much trouble with so many other edible goodies laying out free for the taking as far as the deer are concerned.

I really don't mind them eating some of the flowers ... it's just that they pick my favorites to chomp on as soon as they are out. I'm just going to check the tulips behind the back wall on the ocean side to see if they're ready to bloom yet so I can maybe get them before the deer. Last night it was too soon to pick them but since they're my favorite flower, I'm going to try to save them. Wish me luck.

Did you wind up planting anything BunnyRoses?