• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Help Impact choose a laptop

Impact

V.I.P.
My laptop is on its last legs - 5+ years old now so it has served me well. Anyway, that means it's time for an upgrade.

I want something I can game on, that's going to last me a few years. Ideally it would have a backlit keyboard but that's not essential (I can't tell you how many times i've been frustrated that mine doesn't) and a 17.3 or 15.6 inch screen. Oh, and it needs to have the separate number pad on the keypad. I also refuse to own apple products. Budget: £1000 but i'd prefer to spend less.

I've been looking at this which is £800 at the moment:

MSI GE70 17.3 inch Full HD Core i7 Windows 8 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

This, which is £830:

SAMSUNG Series 5 550P 17.3" Laptop - Silver Deals | Pcworld

I also have a soft spot for these:

SONY VAIO Duo SVD1121Q2EB 11.6" Touchscreen Convertible Ultrabook? Deals | Pcworld

Probably not going to go with this though, as it's tiny, barely meets the specs I want and yeah...it's tiny.

So, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

dDave

V.I.P.
I like the Samsung more even though MSI makes great products.

Though Sony makes great products as well, I don't think that's a good option in this particular case.

I would recommend looking into an ASUS or HP option as well if you haven't already.

Impact

V.I.P.
I've always strayed away from ASUS, and I have no idea why. I don't think i've ever owned one and I haven't really heard anything bad about them...some weird notion I have in my head no doubt. There were a couple when i've been browsing that look like they could be pretty good so i'll look into them, and HP.
------
Okay, I found these three.

HP ENVY m6-1178sa 15.6" Laptop Deals | Pcworld

ASUS N56VZ-S4207V 15.6" Laptop Deals | Pcworld

HP Envy dv7-7332ea 17.3" Laptop Deals | Pcworld

They're in order of my favourite, with the HP Envy DV7 being the one I want most. Funnily enough, that's also the more expensive one.

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have never used a HP Laptop for gaming as such, I tend to stay away from gaming on my laptop and stick to my PC simply so I can upgrade it as much as I want.

I have had a look at the first three and whilst I have not used them the MSI does look good. Samsung are never a brand I have used as a computer but I know they are a good brand. The Sony one I would stay away from like a bad smell, that is WAY too much for a laptop of that spec and I think it only that expensive because it is touch screen.

I will have a look out for some other laptops and see what I can see. My main questions are these:

Do you want Windows 8 on it or Windows 7? From my experience Windows 8 is fast and is good but I find it restrictive in comparison.

How much HDD space do you think you will need? Will you be using a external HDD as well as an internal or purely on the laptop?

Do you plan to carry it around at all? I only say that because 17 inches seem very big (no pun intended for carrying it around, I think 15 inches is a good bench mark, any lower and I think it is pointless.

Impact

V.I.P.
I don't want a desktop. I don't have the room for one, and when Dan builds his new comp i'm probably going to salvage his old one, but that probably isn't going to be for a while.

I'm not particularly bothered about portability, I have a laptop case that would hold a 17.3 inch as that is how big my current laptop is. I've gotten used to this screen size and I think any smaller would seem strange.

Ideally, I want Windows 8 because I want this laptop to last me a while. I've heard good things about it, but in saying that I have heard good things about Windows 7 too.

HDD space isn't that important. Obviously the more the better but it isn't a selling point. I have an external hard drive

Also, the sony is expensive because it's one of those ultrabook convertible laptops that is a tablet and a laptop. Compared to others like it, it's specs are pretty good. Just not compared to the actual gaming laptops i've posted.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'd recommend the Envy, Impy. When I did a ton of research on different companies before getting my MacBook Pro Retina, the Envy was my laptop of choice on the PC side. It felt like the most bang for your buck and from what I heard/read it was a good model with function and performance.

dDave swears by ASUS and I've mentioned to him and others that my oldest brother has an ASUS and likes it a lot as well. I think it's an option worth researching, but I still liked the Envy better than the ASUS during my decision-making.

Wade8813

Registered Member
One thing to be careful about is keyboard configuration. For some asinine reason, my current laptop (Dell) has a wifi kill-switch that's really easy to accidentally hit. That's bad enough for most people, but is a deal breaker for most gamers.

As far as Windows 8, I've heard everything from "It's awesome!" to "It's incredibly hard to use and they don't tell you how to use it". Apparently it's more useful if you plan to sync it with other devices, or something like that.

I'm also looking at a new laptop. Mine didn't serve me that well, but some of that is my fault.

One thing that I'm kind of curious about is overheating. I know that some laptops are better or worse at it, but both of the laptops I've had so far basically couldn't sit on your lap very long or else it would get way too hot. I'm not sure if that's somewhat normal, or if I just chose poorly.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
I've got the same problem with my current keyboard, Wade. The wifi kill switch is right where I press buttons a lot. Luckily this one isn't capable of handling games so I haven't d/c'd myself but still something i'll have a look at.

I've also heard the same thing about overheating and laptops. A friend of mine mentioned he had to get a laptop cooler (I think that's what he said) for whenever he gamed on his. Anyway, I'm going to look at a bunch of reviews for the ones I like, see if any of them have that problem.

I'm planning on getting on today. I have it narrowed down in my mind to the HP, but when I go to the store and get a look and feel of them, that could change. On a completely unrelated note, it annoys me how whenever I go into a technology store I immediately get bombarded by sales people. Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I don't understand what I need/want. Grrr

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Good choice, Imp! Let us know how it works once you get it.

Two more positives about the MacBook I can vouch for are that (1) It stays pretty cool and (2) The keyboard spacing is phenomenal. On the cooling, look up the item's review on G4's website. It's an American gaming TV channel that's about to go away, but if you can find the review of the Macbook pro retina 13" (my computer), they detail how it has a good cooling system.