• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Heisman

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No this thread isn't to discuss possible winners for the Heisman trophy.

I'm currently watching 30 on 30 on Marcus Dupree and he said "Well our team just loss the game, there goes my chance to win the Heisman"

That made me think, I'm curious to know if you guys believe the Heisman should go to the best player in College Football, or to a player that had good numbers on one of the best teams(usually an undefeated team.)

For example, lets say Newton put up the same numbers for Auburn, but they loss three games instead of going undefeated. Do you believe the award should still go to him?

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The award should go to the best player in college football, period. It shouldn't matter what team he's playing for or how many losses they have. As it is, it's basically an award for the best quarterback or running back on a title contending team.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree, best player in college football should get it. If Cam Newton puts up the same numbers but Auburn in 9-3, I would still vote for him. Everyone has their different criteria though, I don't think anyone has the same definition of an MVP award like the Heisman.

BigBob

Registered Member
I believe it should go to the best player in the country to one of the best teams in the country. I'm not saying it has to be the #1 or #2 team in the country, but it shouldn't be given to someone on a team that's 6-6 or 7-5 because if he truly was the best player in the country, he would've carried them to a 9-3 record.

Since watching him play last year, I believe Lance Dunbar is one of the better running backs in the country, but 1.. he plays for North Texas, 2.. they've gone 6-20 over the last two years so he wouldn't even stiff the Doak Walker.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I believe it should go to the best player in the country to one of the best teams in the country. I'm not saying it has to be the #1 or #2 team in the country, but it shouldn't be given to someone on a team that's 6-6 or 7-5 because if he truly was the best player in the country, he would've carried them to a 9-3 record.

Since watching him play last year, I believe Lance Dunbar is one of the better running backs in the country, but 1.. he plays for North Texas, 2.. they've gone 6-20 over the last two years so he wouldn't even stiff the Doak Walker.
I agree with your criteria Bob. The best player in the country, especially at the quarterback and running back positions, can carry his team to a very good record. If he can't, then he isn't the impact player that should win the Heisman.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth College Sports 8
K College Sports 7
Babe_Ruth College Sports 15
Babe_Ruth College Sports 27
BigBob College Sports 2