• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Heisman talk

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know it's quite early to start discussing the Heisman winner, but I thought we could use this thread through out the season to discuss possible winners and such.

Right now, I believe Denard Robinson of the Wolverines is the lead candidate. He's doing things this season that no College Football player as ever done. He's thrown for 1,008 yards, and rushed for 905 yards. He has two games this season where he's thrown for over 200 yards and rushed for over 200 yards, that's unbelievable.

His QB rating is at a remarkable 179.97 and he's completed close to 70% of his passes. He's thrown seven TD's and rushed for eight.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The Heisman is Robinson's to lose at this point. What he's done so far is just unheard of. He's putting up video game numbers. That said, the best defenses he's faced so far were Notre Dame and Indiana, which is pathetic. I am curious to see what he can do against some of the better Big Ten defenses. What happens when he goes up against a defense that can shut down his running game? His passing has been good so far, but most of his passes are quick screens and slants.

Pyror's injury plus conservative playcalling will take him out of the Heisman race.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree Echoes, I'm definitely interested to see how he'll perform against stronger defense as the season progresses. The next two games against Michigan State and Iowa should be a test for Robinson and the Wolverines. Then they'll have a Bye and face Penn State the week after.

IIt's a shame about Pryor, hopefully that injury doesn't hold him back for to long(I heard he was alright though.)

He was off to a good start, and Tressel let him do what he pretty much wanted on the football field, which was a different approach that I'm use to see from Jim, but that seems to be changing.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Stick me in with the Robinson camp. Unless he becomes human for a few games, it is his to lose. There are stats and then there is watching the player perform, and right now, Robinson has both.

Robinson vs. Pryor on the last week of the season is going to be one of the games of the year.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The Heisman took kind of an interesting turn this week.

Denard Robinson was finally shut down. He still had decent numbers, but nowhere near the yardage he put up in the first five games. Plus he threw three interceptions. I expect him to be contained the rest of the year.

Pyror may have gotten himself back in the mix. 24-30, 334 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT's. Most of that came in the first half before the score got out of hand. He didn't run the ball at all. The coaches probably didn't want to risk him reaggravating his quad strain.

Mark Ingram had just 41 yards rushing against South Carolina.

I think Lamichael James needs more consideration. He's been tearing it up every week.

BigBob

Registered Member
Pyror may have gotten himself back in the mix. 24-30, 334 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT's. Most of that came in the first half before the score got out of hand. He didn't run the ball at all. The coaches probably didn't want to risk him reaggravating his quad strain.
He told the coaches he wants to be a passer, not a runner. So that's why he didn't run yesterday.. plus, against a poor Indiana team, he really didn't need to.

LaMichael James is in my Top 5. Robinson is still in my top 5. Yeah, he three 3 INTs, but you've got to try and force something when your defense gives up 30+ points a game.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
He told the coaches he wants to be a passer, not a runner. So that's why he didn't run yesterday.. plus, against a poor Indiana team, he really didn't need to.
I know he wants to be a passer, but he's still a dangerous runner and is by far the best runner on the team. Pretty sure they were just playing it safe yesterday since, like you said, he didn't need to run against Indiana. I expect that to change against teams like Wisconsin and Iowa.

BigBob

Registered Member
Cam Newtown of Auburn has defiantly made a big jump on my list for the sole fact that he is Auburn football right now. He is was Denard was at the beginning of the year, and with Denard getting hurt every other game or so, he's falling further and further out of contention to having almost no chance at all.

1. LaMichael James
2. Cam Newton
3. Kirk Cousins
4. John Clay
5. Justin Blackmon

The biggest surprise that I have in my list is obviously Justin Blackmon. He is what Dez Bryant was for the Cowboy's his freshman and sophomore season, but.. he's in the same exact boat Denard Robinson was in. They haven't played the big teams yet, and depending on how well he does against Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska will depend on if he's even in the running by the end of the year.

John Clay has rushed for 100 or more yards in 6 of the 7 games this year, the only one he didn't hit 100 yards was a loss to Michigan State where he ran for 80 yards. John Clay will stay in this number 4 position on my list until Wisconsin starts losing again. He is a huge part of this offense and without him, they may be a .500 team.

Kirk Cousin's has helped Michigan State get to it's best start in over 30 years. He doesn't turn the ball over and makes huge plays while under pressure. He's beaten Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Michigan.. throwing for almost 800 yards, 6 TDs (3 INTS) in those games.

Cam Newton.. who? The leader of the Auburn Team. Might as well be called the Newton Tiger's. As Robinson did for the first half of the season, this is a guy carrying his team. Leading rusher with over 800 yards, passing leader with a little over 1200 yards. People will say, only 1200 yards? He doesn't need to pass it every single down. He went 10-14 against Arkansas for 140 yards and a TD, but also went for 188 yards rushing and 3 TDs and they won 65-4. Against a South Carolina team young into the season, he went 16-21 for 158 and 2 TDs, and then ran for 176 yards and 3 TDs. Those weren't even his best games either. Passing for 210 and an INT and 198 rushings yards with 4 TDs. Without this guy, this team has nothing. So that's why I have him at #2.

I didn't move James since they didn't play this week and I won't hold that against him. Top 5 running back when it comes to yards in the country, but he's a top 5 all around-running back regardless of yards. This is a kid who missed the first week of the season and still has almost 900 yards rushing. I can't wait to see what he does against USC.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree with Newton, what a game against Arkansas. Looked a lot like what Robinson did earlier in the year, but against a tougher defense. If Newton can lead Auburn to a 12-0, 11-1 season and a SECCG win, he will win the Heisman.

Just asking here, what would it take for Kellen Moore to be in the discussion for you guys? His passing numbers are astounding so far. I know he plays against weaker clubs in the WAC, but at some point, you have to recognize what he is doing no matter who he's playing.

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't include Kellen Moore in mine for the sole fact that it's unrealistic that he'll win it. The voters have given up since letting Colt Brennan in a few years ago, but the difference here is that when Moore goes up against a big school, he puts up big numbers and wins.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth College Sports 8
K College Sports 7
Babe_Ruth College Sports 15
Babe_Ruth College Sports 27
BigBob College Sports 2