Hearty Cream of Mushroom Soup

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by kitchendame, Oct 1, 2010.

1. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

Hearty Cream of Mushroom Soup
    I have to guess at the portions; I never measure this one. I just make it. It's a very forgiving recipe, so if you want to add a little more or less of something, or even substitute or add another ingredient or two, it will still turn out fine.
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    3 cups milk (I use whole but any will do)
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
    2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
    S&P to taste
    Mix butter and flour together in stockpot to make a paste. Add broth and milk while cold, and turn heat to medium and bring to a rapid simmer, stirring regularly to prevent scorching. Mushrooms can be added as is, or sometimes I will fry in butter or olive oil in a large frying pan to add color. Once mushrooms have been added, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes to make sure the flour taste is well cooked out. Add thyme and a little more chicken broth if soup is a little too thick for your taste; add a little more flour/butter paste if too thin. (Soup won't get lumpy as the flour is mixed gradually into the soup as butter part of paste melts.) Correct seasoning, add parsley, stir and serve with crusty artisan bread and a salad or sandwich (cheese, lettuce & tomato is fab) for lunch, or as a starter for dinner, or even dinner itself.