• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Healthy Eating

Scissorhands

Registered Member
So this had to be placed either on the "Food" forum or the "Health" forum. I think health fit it moreso than food.

For some 3 years now I have been living a completely unhealthy lifestyle. Eating fast food EVERY day, without a single exception, and drinking almost nothing but Coke and Root Beer. On top of that I smoke about 5 cigars a day. (Each one equals about 3 cigarettes.)

This is my life. I hate it. I feel it every day; how unhealthy I am. I want change but I can't afford to eat much better. I can quit smoking if I want to, but with my lack of social life in this new place, I have no other past time than to sit in my garage and smoke. It's my only escape and although I can stop any moment; I can't give it up because it is all I have.

I want to live better. I want to eat better.

I remember in my senior year of high school I could wake up at 6:30am, go to school, get out at 4:00pm, stay practicing football until 6:30pm, get home and play games on the computer until 2 or 3am. Sleep, wake up at 6:30am and repeat.

Now I find that I can't function like that. I wake up at 1pm. Do nothing all day until I go to school at 6 until 11pm. Get home at 12, tired as fuck although all I did was SIT all day long.

By one or two I'm ready to pass out. (Right now.) So I can function for 12 hours but I can't get by on any less than 12 hours of sleep either. I'm so unhealthy and this is just one thing that shouts it out.

Anyone want to give me advice on meals I could cook to try to live healthier while considering my very low budget; the reason I live on fast food?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm, try buying large quantities of food that is relatively cheap. Fresh vegetables can be expensive, but something some people don't know is that frozen vegetables are just as good, if not better than fresh vegetables some of the time. Fresh veggies often sit around in supermarkets or shops all day out in the open, but frozen veggies are snapped shut soon after harvesting and kept frozen till you eat them so they retain all the nutrients.
I would suggest buying one large packet of brown rice, and a couple of bags of frozen vegetables. That way the rice can last a long time and the vegetables won't go off. Just cook a little bit of each every now and then and I think you will find this won't be too expensive. Brown rice is one of natures wonder foods, it's seriously has so many health benefits that I sometimes wonder why everyone on the planet doesn't eat it everyday. And veggies are obviously good for you so it's a nice meal. If you want at the start you could even try having some with the junk food. Have a burger with rice and veggies and water. Instead of a burger with chips and coke. That way it won't be as much as shock for your system.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
What kind of cigars are you smoking? Do you inhale?

I'm not sure that junk food can explain a twelve-hour daily sleep cycle. Have you ever been tested for apnea?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.

I'm not sure that junk food can explain a twelve-hour daily sleep cycle. Have you ever been tested for apnea?
You quite sure about that Tucker? Junk-food and poor diet can be a MAJOR cause of over-sleeping, lack of energy etc. If you don't put the right fuel in your body then it will just collapse. I used to know one guy who ate mainly junk food and he had trouble even getting out of bed in the morning, and felt tired throughout the day. The lack of any proper nutrients to the body basically leaves you feeling completely drained almost every day.

Starfire86

Registered Member
Well, rice and beans are pretty cheap, especially if you buy them unsoaked. You'll have to do a little more prep to cook a meal than you would if you got canned beans though. But even the canned ones are pretty cheap too.
Canned vegetables might not have as many nutrients as fresh ones, but they definitely cost less, and here's the trick- all that excess water? Don't drain it. It contains a lot of vitamins, so my advise would be use it to make a soup. You could also go with frozen vegetables.

Oatmeal is inexpensive- I'm talking about buying it plain and in the canisters, not flavored packets. You can always add sugar and whatever else you want to flavor it.

Eggs. At my local grocery store they cost 99 cents for a dozen.

Canned tuna is a must, you can make sandwiches or eat it with crackers.

Hunt's traditional spaghetti sauce: This goes for about $1 for a 26oz can, it tastes great, and pasta is relatively cheap as well.

You can buy bags of potatoes that will last a while, or you can also buy them individually in the vegetable aisles.

Basically, you need to just go in and take a look at the prices. The store I go to has a lot of weekend sales, buy one get one kind of deals. I try not to go to big places like Walmart, especially since it's so far away from me, because while you might save a little money sometimes the quality isn't that great.

Edit- You might also want to invest in a daily vitamin tablet, for the times when you absolutely can't afford vegetables.
Also, are you depressed? I find that I sleep a lot more when I'm depressed or overwhelmed with my life.

Last edited:

Scissorhands

Registered Member

Never had health insurance. Never been tested for anything. And I smoke Black and Mild cigars. They're pretty much the median between a Cuban cigar and a cigarette, haha. And yes, I inhale.

You quite sure about that Tucker? Junk-food and poor diet can be a MAJOR cause of over-sleeping, lack of energy etc. If you don't put the right fuel in your body then it will just collapse. I used to know one guy who ate mainly junk food and he had trouble even getting out of bed in the morning, and felt tired throughout the day. The lack of any proper nutrients to the body basically leaves you feeling completely drained almost every day.
I wake up, usually about ten or eleven AM. I go back to sleep and fight with waking up until as late as 2 or 3 PM sometimes. I get up and have no motivation or energy to do anything. I don't even have the energy to take a shower until after I get home from school at 12PMish. All day I'm yawning and trying to take power naps.

Eh. My mum just came home. Root beer and a cigar. Sounds like bed time.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
If the effect of a typical poor diet on a person's sleep function were really as pronounced as you suppose, there would be 30 million Americans sleeping twelve hours a night. That excessive of an amount may indicate an underlying sleep disturbance and the need for a trip to the doc.

Of course, eating healthy is always better than not eating healthy. I don't want to discourage the brown rice thing!

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's not only over-sleeping, but while the person is awake they will feel a distinct lack of energy and have a strong lethargic feeling. Lack of sleeping could be just part of it. Maybe some iron supplements would help as well or a daily multivitamin.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Eating well isn't a matter of money, it's a matter of effort. Especially considering how inexpensive food is in the US. (Like, say, compared to here in Canada) The problem isn't that fast food is cheap, it's that it's easy; buying food in bulk from the grocery can seem daunting and expensive at first, but on a per meal basis it costs less than any restaurant, anywhere.

Now, granted, you won't be eating like a king; a bag of frozen vegetables, a bag of pasta, and random meat if it's inexpensive or on sale; but if you really want to eat better, it's not necessarily always easy, but it can definitely be done on a fast food budget. It's all in planning and prep; hit up all the sales, and go for bulk rather than taste. Buy lower quality meats - Roast instead of T-Bones; boned chicken breast, rather than boneless. You can also save on cooking time by making gigantic meals that will last for a few days.

Also, weight gain is tied to how much you eat, not what; if you eat one McD hamburger a day, you'll actually lose weight. If you eat ten McD hamburgers a day, however, you'll be a tug boat by next week.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Also would just like to point out that water is in fact FREE. Coke is one of the worst drinks out there for a person, try replacing a glass of coke a day with a glass of water instead, and then try to increase your water intake gradually after that.

I used to be like you and drank basically nothing but soft drinks/soda and fruit juice (juice is still not good for you, VERY high in sugar). Eventually though I just quit cold turkey and went almost half a year drinking only water. I drink soft drink again now though but only occasionally, I can easily go three or four weeks drinking nothing but water.