Healthy Cereal?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by EllyDicious, Apr 29, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I was wondering if the Cereals I'm using are worthy and healthy.
    Should I stick with this or you can recommend me something healthier?

I eat Kellog's Optivita - Rich with Betaglucan which helps reduce the cholesterole [according to what's written here].

Here it says that it contains: Integrals; Low content of saturated fat; Low content of Salt.

Integral cereals 54%
    Oat flour 22%
    Integral rice 18%
    Integral wheat 13%
    Aglomerat cereals 19%

Also, if you don't mind taking a look at this nutrition table to understand what's in there:
    [​IMG]

SO, my question is : What should I look for before buying a cereal?
    Which cereals are rich in fibers [as I don't think this one is] ?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

If you want something high in fibre, I have to point out the obvious bran based cereals. Bran Flakes or just plain bran.

3. EllyDicious

There are many type of Bran Flakes. Which one is better? What should be written there?

4. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

The cereal you listed seems to have 3 grams of fiber per serving? That's good, I think. Also, it seems to be low in sodium but the sugar content seems to be a little high.

Do you like oatmeal? One third cup of oatmeal has the same amount of fiber, no sugar and just 2 mg of sodium. You can sweeten it with fruit juice (or maybe stevia) and some berries. Would be pretty healthy overall, I think. :)

5. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I'm not sure about fiber, but the new "Wheatie's Fuel" is reall good; I have a box at home right now. It's supposed to be healthy and also have a daily serving of B vitamins.

I advise checking it out, tasty stuff! :)

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

The sugar on that is terrible. I don't know if that matters to you, though.

I would personally look for cereal that has less sugar.

7. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

This is exactly the first thing I thought. When I saw the sugar, I was like :-o

The fiber isn't terrible, but it definitely could be higher. I don't particularly know what cereals you have there, so just going to the store and comparing them is the best I can offer you. Bran cereals do tend to be the highest.

8. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

My husband eats this every morning Elly and it has less than 10 grams of sugar; not too sure if you have it where you live???
    ...Anyway, I've had it a few times and like it though I eat something else in the morning...(granola with seeds and nuts, low-fat strawberry yogurt and blueberries).

[​IMG]

9. ZzzZZ

ZzzZZ Registered Member

gotta love quakers oats for nutrition + gives me lots of energy in the morning :lick:

10. EllyDicious

That sounds PERFECT. But I don't have it in my country :shifteyes:

@Anita - Yes, It has too much sugars but I haven't found any cereal with less sugar [at least in the area I live]. :-/ [the same goes with what Warrior recommended.

I'll try to look for Bran.
    ------
    Ok, I went to the supermarket and chose 2 types that seemed right for me.

1- [​IMG]

Without added sugars, rich in integrals, with soy, without salt, with fibers, 6 types of cereals.

Proteins 8.4g
    Carbohydrates 80g
    Sugar 4.3g
    Fat 1,4g
    Sodium 0,7g

----------

2- [​IMG]

nutrition tables
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

but I think the first is better. :shifteyes:

Last edited: May 5, 2010