• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Healthiest Dog Breeds

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Although it's nearly impossible to predict which breed of dog will live the longest or be the healthiest, there are certain breeds that seem to have lower instances of genetic diseases, bone-related injuries and conditions relating to their skin and coat. Take a look at which breeds are thought to be among the healthiest and how to help your dog live a long, healthy life, below.

10 Healthiest Dog Breeds
Personally I bet a mutt will be the healthiest of all those listed. I have had pure breeds and mutts and the mutts always seem to cost me less in vet bills. It was always just the basics with them, vaccinations, neutered/spayed, etc. The pure breeds seem to always develop some other problem. The last dog I had was a Rottweiler and she had joint problems which I was always taking her to the vet over and she only lived to be 8. She was smart though.

How healthy is/was your dog? Mutt or purebred?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
There's a lot more than just breed that goes into whether or not your dog stays healthy and lives long. There's diet, lifestyle, altitude, genetic conditions, etc.

I have two Boston Terriers and from what I understand they are supposed to live for a very long time. We've known people to easily take them over 20 years.

One of my labs (the one is a mix breed with a rhodesian I believe), has some pretty severe hip problems so I wonder if that just happens when labs are mixed and bred with other dogs.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Mutts are always healthiest. Almost all pure-bred dogs are sick. Mix-breeds and mutts are healthiest, since more pure breeds have a history of in-breeding. That list doesn't focus enough on how terrible the history of almost 100% of pure-breed dogs are, and how fucked up what humans did to them are. Mutts all the way.