Health Insurance CEO Compensation

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
In one hour, the CEOs of the largest health insurance companies will make the following:

Stephen Hemsley, United Health CEO
$6,346.15

Edward Hanaway, CIGNA Health CEO
$11,587.00

Michael McCallister, Humana CEO
$4.951.92

Ronald A. Williams, Aetna CEO
$11,682.69

Allen Wise, Coventry CEO
$6,275.38

Angela Braly, WellPoint CEO
$4,372.25

source: Sick for Profit - Insurance CEOs

This is one of the many reasons health care reform is needed. The reason these people receive such enormous compensation packages is because their companies deny care - to people who have paid their premiums - in order to maximize profit.

YouTube - The Health Insurance Racket

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The reason these people receive such enormous compensation packages is because their companies deny care - to people who have paid their premiums - in order to maximize profit.

YouTube - The Health Insurance Racket
That doesn't follow logically. Could it be for some to some extent? Absolutely. Is is positively true for every example you gave like you claim? Not necessarily. They could also be maximizing profit because of the level of care they get and the amount of customers they have because of it. Pointing out how much people make does nothing for the argument that reform is needed.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
This is also why the wonderful idea to copy Massachusett's health insurance idea is so fucking stupid. Some lawmakers out there honestly think it's in the people's best interest to force health insurance on them when the real problem are these bastards who have evolved into professional con artists.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
That doesn't follow logically. Could it be for some to some extent? Absolutely. Is is positively true for every example you gave like you claim? Not necessarily. They could also be maximizing profit because of the level of care they get and the amount of customers they have because of it. Pointing out how much people make does nothing for the argument that reform is needed.
I made no such claim. Please stop putting words into my mouth.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I made no such claim. Please stop putting words into my mouth.
Really?

"The reason these people receive such enormous compensation packages is because their companies deny care - to people who have paid their premiums - in order to maximize profit."

That statement sounds to me like you did.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Really?

"The reason these people receive such enormous compensation packages is because their companies deny care - to people who have paid their premiums - in order to maximize profit."

That statement sounds to me like you did.

I didn't make the video, man. And I really wonder what your point is. Are you denying that insurance companies deny care? or are you denying that they deny care to everyone? I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say.
Is is positively true for every example you gave like you claim?
Are you saying that I'm saying everything in that video is positively true? Are you saying that I'm saying that the CEO compensation I listed is positively true? Or are you saying that the people in the video are lying about their stories?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I pay for my own insurance and I despise insurance companies. And I agree 100% that something has got to be done, but I think the big government plan would be even worse.

I think that if Obama can figure out something that will work for everyone, he will go down as one of the greatest presidents ever - not that notoriety is particularly important. I honestly hold out hope that somewhere inside Obama is a guy that can broker a good deal. For example, Clinton was all against welfare reform in 1994, but with help from Newt and others he passed a great bill. But, maybe I'm a dreamer - haha..

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I didn't make the video, man. And I really wonder what your point is. Are you denying that insurance companies deny care? or are you denying that they deny care to everyone? I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that I'm saying everything in that video is positively true? Are you saying that I'm saying that the CEO compensation I listed is positively true? Or are you saying that the people in the video are lying about their stories?
I thought I made it pretty clear, I don't see how you don't get my point but I'll try again. YOU said the reason they're paid so much is because they deny care. I said, could that be true in some situations? Absolutely. But the conslusion you reached doesn't follow logically, you're ignoring the possibility that some insurance companies are run extremely well and their customers are happy because of it.

I have no idea if they're lying or not, maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I'm not going to judge without knowing all the facts.
------
I pay for my own insurance and I despise insurance companies. And I agree 100% that something has got to be done, but I think the big government plan would be even worse.

I think that if Obama can figure out something that will work for everyone, he will go down as one of the greatest presidents ever - not that notoriety is particularly important. I honestly hold out hope that somewhere inside Obama is a guy that can broker a good deal. For example, Clinton was all against welfare reform in 1994, but with help from Newt and others he passed a great bill. But, maybe I'm a dreamer - haha..
I couldn't agree more, the problem is any time there's a "crisis" nowadays the knee-jerk reaction is to let the government take over the industry. What we need is insurance reform, not reforming the whole system.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Actually, I didn't draw that conclusion; Wendell Potter, former VP of Corporate Communications for CIGNA made that claim (1:31 of the video)

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
They should be able to make whatever the shareholders will let them get away with making. They are in charge of these companies.

This is like saying Microsoft operating systems are too expensive so we need the government to step in and do some reform. Private companies should be able to charge what they want for their products and services. They should also be able to pay their CEO's whatever the shareholders allow.

People act as if health insurance companies are running a charity non-profit service and should be under government scrutiny if they start turning a profit. They are in this to make money. Be happy for that. If it weren't for the endless opportunities for people to develop services that people actually need and actually be able to make money from it the world would be a much worse place.

These people aren't doing anything wrong by making money running these huge companies. That's their right. It's the shareholders who should complain if they have a problem with this. Maybe if enough customers complain then the point will be made too, but the government has absolutely no place going in and setting salaries for private companies. Not in any circumstances.