Health Freedom

E

enjoylife1

In 1994, DSHEA (Diet Supplement Health and Education Act) passed 100-0 because 100 million Americans wrote to Congress. Now there are attempts to require vitamins and supplements go on prescription as well as take away our rights to complimentary medicine and weaken organic food standards.

The only way we will have a chance for the free market to operate in health care is to let the people decide their health care choices and not the goverment and big corporations.

Below are some links which describe the FDA's attempts to take away our freedom. I'm looking forward to your comments.

http://www.hpathy.com/homeopathyforums/forum_posts.asp?TID=5846&PN=1

www.healthfreedomusa.org

K

kt-64

We should let the people decide helkathcare, but homeopathy and most of that other stuff is fraudulent. Let me inform you that many medicines we have today are derived from herbal medicines. We do not need alternative medicines, because we have more advanced forms at our disposal.

G

GoldenGary

Yes, but you forget that the bureaucracy is infinitely capable and well-meaning so we will be better off after the switch.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Should men be free to get suckered by sellers of snake oil? There may be a demand or even need for available placebos in a nation where so many can't get healthcare, but those who do can easily suffer for it. There is something of an intrinsic lack of compassion in the marketplace that makes it impossible for me to think health should be trusted entirely to it.

Not only vitamins, but bottled water and now chocolate is to be dispensed by prescription only.
I saw all of those things at a small store just today when I stopped to pick up a Red Bull and pack of coffin nails. You must mean something odd by 'prescription' or otherwise by 'vitamins', 'bottled water', and 'chocolate'.

G

GoldenGary

Should men be free to get suckered by sellers of snake oil? There may be a demand or even need for available placebos in a nation where so many can't get healthcare, but those who do can easily suffer for it. There is something of an intrinsic lack of compassion in the marketplace that makes it impossible for me to think health should be trusted entirely to it.
Well, they are going to try for it and seek it whether or not we let them have it and they are going to whine bitterly if we don't let them have their snake oil, the best we can and should do is give them the information to make the decision and well, there is plenty of reason to think that they should know already. I would rephrase your question to be "should people be denied rights over themselves?" though, as the very question you ask is one over who has the right to decide over the body of an individual and frankly, I trust no society to tell men what they can and cannot do so long as it does not impede the life and liberty of others within a society. The lack of compassion in the market place is not so much intrinisic as we cannot separate charity from markets as both function based upon the same individualistic concept. Now really, beyond that I would ask for more to go off of before I go any deeper as the fact of the matter is that I am not sure if you speak merely of regulation or removal of a market, however, it can be considered that even an unregulated market is still regulated somewhat by consumers.

I saw all of those things at a small store just today when I stopped to pick up a Red Bull and pack of coffin nails. You must mean something odd by 'prescription' or otherwise by 'vitamins', 'bottled water', and 'chocolate'.
Prescription, he means that you will need someone to sign a note in order to buy those objects due to overregulation of medical care.

ExpectantlyIronic

GoldenGary,

I wasn't being all that clear. I imagine you've heard the recent news about the Chinese authorities discovering an insanely high number of deceptive and dangerous marketing and manufacturing practices. Things like fake vitamins were being sold en masse without anyone knowing. In the States we have the FDA to ensure that such things don't happen. We take for granted that the things we consume will be what the packaging says they are.

The reason why the FDA wants to regulate vitamins as drugs isn't to require a prescription for them. That's just an absurd conjecture made by folks who don't really understand what the FDA does. There's a reason why the can of Red Bull I bought today informed me it wasn't for medicinal use. Snake oil isn't just junk that people believe is medicine. It's junk that's sold as medicine. There's nothing wrong with someone selling sugar. There is something wrong with someone selling a 'pain reliever' made entirely of sugar.

Dietary supplements can support claims on their packaging that isn't backed by evidence. I don't advocate that they be pulled from the shelves (nor does anyone I know of), but they shouldn't be marketed as a cure for Alzheimer's disease when they aren't. That's exactly what the FDA wants the power to ensure. Such a thing would actually be good for honest sellars of such goods, as it would increase consumer confidence in their products. Only those who rely on deception to sell products would be harmed by such regulation.

Prescription, he means that you will need someone to sign a note in order to buy those objects due to overregulation of medical care.
I wasn't able to find any evidence to substantiate that claim. On what grounds is anyone suggesting that even vitamins will become prescription only? There certainly hasn't been anything about it in the news.

T

Thomas Jefferson

We should let the people decide helkathcare, but homeopathy and most of that other stuff is fraudulent. Let me inform you that many medicines we have today are derived from herbal medicines. We do not need alternative medicines, because we have more advanced forms at our disposal.
Do you know what homeopathy is? Homeopathy is a term that refers to using evertyhing available to improve health. So homeopathic medicine includes surgery, pharmaceuticals, accupuncture, massage, meditation, exercise, etc. The point is that there is no reason to limit your choices.

If you can use accupuncture to get rid of overwhelming allergies for years at a time, why wouldn't you? There is no pharmaceutical that can do that, that's for damn sure.

If you can rid yourself of chronic migraine headaches through the use of meditation and yoga, why wouldn't you?

If you can get rid of your acid reflux by having a small glass of apple cider each day, why wouldn't you?

If you can alleviate the suffering of a terminally ill cancer patient and give him enough relief that he can actually eat and enjoy a meal and keep it down, by giving him some weed, why wouldn't you? You'd rather process the plant and produce some extract, and distill it down to some concentrated form, and feed THAT to your patient at $40 a pill? WHY? How is that better?

Non-alternative western medicine historically does one thing: treats symptoms. Homeopathic medicine is aimed at addressing the causes of symptoms, and treating the entire patient. The word homeopathic is really almost moot at this point, because you'd have to be crazy to approach healing any other way, knowing what we now know. Most medical schools teach a fair amount of what you might call "alternative" medicine as par for the course at this point. Homeopathy is the approach lots of medical schools teach and endorse.

ExpectantlyIronic

tipsycatlover,

The FDA already does all those things. They want more.
Yes and no. Under the law established by DSHEA, dietary supplements can make claims that they "affect the structure and function of the body" without evidence. That means they can say they improve memory and whatnot (I'm sure you've seen the labels).

Here's a good article on the issue:
http://www.quackwatch.com/02ConsumerProtection/kessler.html