Health Care

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Pugz, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I've seen a report about twelve year old who died from a tooth ache because his family couldn't afford to have it removed.

I would like to know why such a large and prosperous country can't provide free health care for their people. I find it rather strange that a small country like Britain, which could fit into the US about a hundred times, can provide free health care for a large percentage of the people but the US can't or won't.

I know there is a form of free health care for those that can't afford health insurance but most dentists/doctors and maybe hospitals won't take it.

2. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

You should look into Britian's health care as well as Canadas. It might be free when you can get it. In Britian medical care is already being rationed. Recently a man who broke his ankle couldn't get it set because he smoked. Medical care for people who smoke in Britian is not available at all, not even to set a broken bone. In Canada people are dying because they can't get care fast enough. They get on a waiting list for that free care and it's a long long list.

My partner has an abcessed tooth that's caused a raging infection throughout his body. He has two forms of safety net insurance, state, and federal Medicare. No one takes this insurance. No one. I have no idea what we're going to do. A tooth extraction is almost $1,000.00. Even if we had socialized medicine and single payer insurance doctors will excercise their freedom and not accept it. The state will be taking money without having to pay out anything.

Socialized medicine is a flim flam of the worst kind. I pity those in countries that have it. The people pay outrageous taxes to support that system, and get nothing for their money. Free health care isn't free at all. Nothing is free. Someone pays. You pay out of pocket, you pay insurance, or you pay in exhorbitant taxes. Don't be fooled because someone says "free" it never is.

3. Pugz

We pay for it through our taxes.

I would like to know where you got this information about this smoker who couldn't get care, i've never heard of it, the NHS provides all types of care no matter what the health background.

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

5. Pugz

Ok, ok with the new smoking ban on that doesn't surprise me, but he does have a point and the NHS is seriously lacking. But it still doesn't answer my question as to why the US doesn't have a form of NHS and why Bush refuses to have such a thing.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I have a friend who lives in the UK and I asked her about what tipsy said. this was her response

(emphasis on the last sentence added by me)

7. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/category/health/

Here is the link.

Here's another one that denies medical care to any "self-inflicted" illness.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article597145.ece

more
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/09/nice09.xml

Being old is self-inflicted

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=391478&in_page_id=1770

A routine search brings up pages and pages of incidences of denial of care in the UK.

Bush won't do such a thing because the American people will go into a total rage if he does! Do you imagine, do you even think that the majority of Americans want national health care? That's the reason why. Billy boy tried it early on through his wife with Hillarycare and got smashed for it. We still have some elected representatives, those representatives listen to those who elected them at least some of the time. For an elected representative, it's the fast track to unemployment.

8. Jeanie

being one of the 47 million uninsured americans, i would love it.

9. Pugz

Exactly, it's a chance for people to be 100% insured no matter what the accident/injury/illness, sure the taxes may be a little bit higher, but i'd pay an extra so many percent if it means i can have an operation and not worry about the bill.

10. Jeanie

I understand that the daily mail is a right wing publication that is very anti-NHS.

also in the article that Storm posted, I notice that there is no quote from the hospital that says they refuse to treat him. It's only taking the patient's word for it. All the hospital spokesperson says is that it will hinder his healing process.