• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Health care as a right = slavery

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
His logic is so broken he should be running security for Sony.

SEN. RAND PAUL (R-KY): "With regard to the idea of whether you have a right to health care, you have realize what that implies. It's not an abstraction. I’m a physician. That means you have a right to come to my house and conscript me. It means you believe in slavery."

Not only does he clearly lack the slightest clue about the topic he is attempting to smear, but his logic is completely broken. A right to health care is not a doctor waltzing into your house and "health-raping" you as Paul seems to imply. With any hot button issue there is going to be spin, but this is just laughably bad. He would have had a better chance convincing people by claiming Stalin's last breath was, "I hope Obama forces Americans to be healthy".

I think Americans should have a right to healthcare (the methods are up for another thread) but I'm completely failing to see how he is equating a right to anything to slavery. So does that mean if you believe in your right to free speech, you're a slaver? What about the right to a fair trial? Slavery? Or is he trying to claim it's just in a business sense? We know these systems can work, other countries have shown this. It wouldn't be easy for America to adopt a system of free anything because we're a nation founded on the concept of hard work and earning your pay (even though plenty of people break that mold).

Our health care system is awful. It's been awful for some time. It even ranks below several countries in several categories of study. Also, recent studies have suggested that medical problems due to bills and insurance costs have created more than 60% of the personal bankruptcies in the US. Whatever the "fix" or serious of fixes are, this is a step in the wrong direction. We don't need misguided politicians, especially those that believe raped women shouldn't be allowed abortions, to make logical decisions for us.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Actually his logic is just fine. It means while you are a physician and have undergone the education, training, expense and sacrifice to become a physician, the government can tell you who to treat, how to treat, and how much to charge for said treatment. Sounds a lot like slavery to me.

I'm not sure about those stats regarding medical care in the US, I call BS on most that I have seen but they're really irrelevant to this discussion anyway.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
It means while you are a physician and have undergone the education, training, expense and sacrifice to become a physician, the government can tell you who to treat, how to treat, and how much to charge for said treatment. Sounds a lot like slavery to me.
So slaves in the same sense cops are slaves, then?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
However,

Health care as a privilege = bordering on inhuman. The full* privatization of healthcare is basically the full privatization of human life, and a violation of the fundamental human right to remain alive. Essentially, the sense becomes, you have a right to live. If you're born rich, privileged, and entitled.

Furthermore, it's not slavery, because nobody forces anyone to become a doctor.

*Note - I say "full," because I do believe Canada could do well with a little more privatization in our healthcare system. I believe in balance.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
So slaves in the same sense cops are slaves, then?
Cops are public servants. One could argue one of the main functions of government, if not THE main function of government is to provide safety to it's citizenry.

If one doesn't want to be paid as a cop, then don't become one. That's not the same thing as someone who has been a doctor and is now forced to accept a certain salary.

I'm confused on how you could find such a parallel.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Cops are public servants. One could argue one of the main functions of government, if not THE main function of government is to provide safety to it's citizenry.
One could argue that government-assured healthcare is entailed by the duty of a government to protect its citizens. All the same, it seems you don't really disagree with me that the bizarre usage of the term "slavery" in this thread applies to cops. If so, does that make slavery okay?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
One could argue that government-assured healthcare is entailed in the duty of a government to protect its citizens. All the same, it seems you don't really disagree with me that the bizarre usage of the term "slavery" in this thread applies to cops. If so, does that make slavery okay?
I agree with you that the use of the word slavery is somewhat bizarre, but I wouldn't apply it to cops because cops are public servants.

I'm a lawyer. I'm not a public servant. I'm not a judge, a councilman, a state rep, a member of Congress, I don't work for the government like a cop does. If I want to charge a $5000 retainer and $2500/hour for my services that's my right to do so. To suddenly find that legal services is a right and my fee is dicated to me, while not technically slavery, is oppressive. The same does not apply to cops because cops are public servants. Just like judges, members of Congress, etc..those who do not charge for their services.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
So does that mean if healthcare were to be passed as a government provided and backed service for all and for free, they'd be public servants and thus, there would be no problem anymore?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
So does that mean if healthcare were to be passed as a government provided and backed service for all and for free, they'd be public servants and thus, there would be no problem anymore?
Just the opposite. To suddenly make them public servants, people who didn't go into the field as such like cops do, would be akin to slavery. That would be a huge problem, in my opinion.

I don't want to be a public servant. If I chose to be at some point, that should be my choice. And I will live with the conditions granted therein.