Headrush and Tunnel Vision

Twitch

Registered Member
Does anyone else get headrushes and tunnel vision when they stand up?

I'm bringing this up because not a half hour ago, my mom asked me to do something so I got up off the couch, and I was holding onto my kitchen counter when my tunnel vision was so bad I almost couldn't see at all, and I almost felt like my legs fell asleep, and I sunk to the ground.

My mom was like "What are you doing..?"

This is the worst tunnel vision and headrush I have ever gotten, but today was a generally normal day.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Thats from when you sit too long.

What happens I believe is the blood pools in one area of your body. When you sit up that blood moves around and it gets pulled from your brain quickly, thus the dizziness and tunnel vision. It happens if you sit up to quick too, just get up slowly next time.

Twitch

Registered Member

What happens I believe is the blood pools in one area of your body. When you sit up that blood moves around and it gets pulled from your brain quickly, thus the dizziness and tunnel vision. It happens if you sit up to quick too, just get up slowly next time.
I have read before that that's why.. I want to know why my legs fell asleep, though..

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I have read before that that's why.. I want to know why my legs fell asleep, though..
Sitting on the nerve too long usually... it probably was asleep from sitting on the sofa (and you didn't know it) and when you got up, the blood rushed back in and it felt like lead probably.

Coupled with sitting up to fast... sounds about right. Dizziness, numb legs, tunnel vision... just take your time getting up in the future and you should be ok. It happens to me too.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.

sort of. The blood is constantly circulating, and it's true that while you're standing for long periods of time your ankles and feet may swell, that's not an accumulation of blood but rather edema due to gravity decreasing the hydrostatic pressure in the lower limbs. Edema is an accumulation of fluids in the tissues and does not include blood.

Dizziness upon standing is actually more likely due to low blood pressure resulting in lack of blood flow to the brain. Unless you are suffering from water intoxication, you should drink plenty of fluids when this is happening in order to try to raise your blood pressure.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Dizziness upon standing is actually more likely due to low blood pressure resulting in lack of blood flow to the brain. Unless you are suffering from water intoxication, you should drink plenty of fluids when this is happening
in order to try to raise your blood pressure.
I used to get this a lot before and true enough, I have low blood pressure.

It still happens to me sometimes now when I move too quickly. I guess this one is more related to my balance issues.

Twitch

Registered Member
Ughh. This just happened again. I stood up to stretch, and I literally fell back onto my couch, because I couldn't stand.

This might help: I once smoked a lot of weed, and it sort of felt like this. This felt much worse, though.

There's definitely some dizziness involved.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
While I was working last Sunday I had this exact thing happen to me. I stood up immediately and had a really bad head rush and my eyes sort of blanked out in a blur of colors. It was sort of painful really not something I enjoyed in the slightest bit.

The weird thing was I was working all day, and had been for about 7 hours before it happened. It was a 110 degree (F) day and we were laying an Epoxy floor system down, strenuous up and down work that my legs and back are extremely sore from still.

Im pretty sure I was drinking plenty of water, maybe I wasnt.

sort of. The blood is constantly circulating, and it's true that while you're standing for long periods of time your ankles and feet may swell, that's not an accumulation of blood but rather edema due to gravity decreasing the hydrostatic pressure in the lower limbs. Edema is an accumulation of fluids in the tissues and does not include blood.

Dizziness upon standing is actually more likely due to low blood pressure resulting in lack of blood flow to the brain. Unless you are suffering from water intoxication, you should drink plenty of fluids when this is happening in order to try to raise your blood pressure.
I'm not sure whether I have low or high blood pressure. Really the only thing I've ever heard from the doc is "do you play sports? you have an athletes pulse".

interesting read none the less.