• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

He=no work, me=to work

shelgarr

Registered Member
Good news ....a client's workload has increased significantly so I will have some predictable hours for a while. So she says and she's been known to be a talker. We have a history together. going back 14 years. In fact she hired me as a technical writer when I was 8 months pregnant. She was my boss in a technical publishing department for preclinical research. After about 2 years under her, I changed to running studies, and about a year after that I quit to be a full time mom. We went our separate ways for about a 2 years and she then contacted me to help with a need for some QC work on data tables. Ever since then we've been working on/off with me in a QC capacity as well as assisting with submissions. This new arrangement will be submission mainly....thank God!....because I'm so burnt out on QC. She has a home office about 4 miles away. It will be with flexible hours. We work together for her clients to submit drug reports to the FDA. They are usually drug companies that don't have their own regulatory staff.

Last edited:

masey

Registered Member
Yep, it's come to that. After so many years of progressing and advancement we too have been hit with the no job syndrome. Husband lost his job in July 2010. It was a voluntary severance as a result of a position and salary restructuring that he refused to accept. It was a solid decision but of course we didn't think we'd be 6 months in with no job.

I have been taking in sporadic work to help us along. Time now though for me to return full time.

So myself with 10 years outside the "real" work world, I hope to get something as soon as I can in 2011. It's was a good run to be able to work part time and from home. All good things must end as they say.

Wish us luck.
Good luck Shel...Nothing like working imho, gives you respect for yourself and from others.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Good luck Shel...Nothing like working imho, gives you respect for yourself and from others.
Good one! With 17 years in the work force before having kids, 5 years trying to do both, and 16 years rearing kids, I would say I have way more respect for myself for being a mother over anything.

shelgarr

Registered Member
It finally happened. I got a job! It starts tomorrow, and I have a pit in my stomach. It's not dread, it's nerves and excitement and the unknown. For 11 years, I've worked as an independent contractor in pharmaceuticals and now am going to return to an office with people and meetings and badges and commuting and interaction. Really...it's all good. The position is QA Auditor for a preclinical research company. Luckily the number of studies that need auditing is low enough to justify part time. So it's great that the transistion can be gradual. The word is I beat many candidates but it took 4 hours of interviewing! They came in at the top of my asking salary range. So, I'm lucky, right?! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My husband continues his quest to be an entreprenure. His efforts toward traditional employment has steadily declined since his layoff in July 2010. There is promise for his online idea, a market, a need, but it will take money to get it going. Despite the obstacles he has made a ton of progress. Just recently he may have finally found a technical co-founder.

Naturally these past months have taken a toll on our marriage, on our finances, on our kids...everything. Another good thing about getting a job is that I will be out of the house, but I will probably have to play less tennis.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Congratulations on the update! I know how hard it is. I'm in a similar position. I've had a very stable career that I left for the sake of building my family. I've been pretty much dedicated to motherhood since my first born was out. Then a change in my familial situation forced me to go looking for a perma job, after all these years of not really working, and that was hard to do. I've picked up some gigs right now, unrelated to what I've been doing before, but that I love doing and could make a career out of it...but I'm far from being stable.