HD DVD Player

Discussion in 'Technology' started by pro2A, Dec 22, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I've been wanting to get one but my concern is all my current DVD's would be obsolete as they are not HD DVD's. Just regular DVD's. Is there a converter or something that makes my regular DVD's play in HD on an HD DVD player? I have an HD TV so thats not an issue, just the DVD's.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

You don't want HD-DVD. The name is just a marketing gimmick and it's not actually DVD 2.0. Blu-Ray actually won the new format war and is the only format that new movies will come out on anymore. HD-DVD went out of business and is no longer being manufactured.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Ok so if I get a Blu-Ray will my current DVD collection not be able to play on them? That is my concern.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I hope they're still producing the regular DVDs. A blue ray player is grossly over priced.

5. Mirage

Yes, Blu-Ray will play normal DVD's also. They will also look a bit better than they did on your DVD player.

6. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

You can play DVD's on a BlueRay player, but you can't play BlueRay discs in a regular DVD player.

7. Mirage

They will probably continue to produce DVD's for the next year or two. I would not be surprised if Blu-Ray is the only option by 2010 or 2011 though (for new movies).

By then the price for Blu-Ray should be cheaper too though. They will probably go down to the price of DVD's by then, and it won't make sense to keep the outdated DVD format around.

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

9. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Yeah I think that it'll be sort of like the transition from VHS to DVD, they'll make both of them for a while and then eventually the older one will die off as the newer and better one will be cheap enough that nobody will mind.

DVD's will be around for a while though that's for sure.

10. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

See they keep coming out with all this new technology but it is always grossly overpriced. I'll stick with my GE DVD players, at least they play VCD's without any issues. I had to hunt for these suckers and got lucky when I found them going out of stock.