• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Having A Pet Can Help You If You Have Mental Illness

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
I've been dealing with mental illness for most of my life. I'm not the only one.

Their have been many components I've used to help me cope with and overcome mental illness. One of those components was having a cockatiel as a pet.

His name was Luke. He was cute and had a lot of personality. I cared about him. And he loved me as well.

He passed away years ago. But when he was around, he often cheered me up. And now that he's gone, my memories of him still put a smile on my face.

So if you have mental health issues (or even if you don't), having a cute little pet in your life like I had can be one of the ways of dealing with mental illness.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Pets can help you live longer as well, ease stress and loneliness.

dDave

V.I.P.
I would further this statement by saying pets can help you even if you don’t have a mental illness. They’re just fun and are always around so you don’t feel completely lonely when there is otherwise no one around.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Many care facilities bring in animals to visit the patients. Pet therapy is very effective for many suffering from either physical or mental illness.

A slight bit off topic, animals are also being used in some places to sniff out cancer, and some animals can sense an impending epileptic attack before it happens, allowing their owners to take appropriate action.