Having a loaded gun

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
You only get one chance for everything to play out perfectly if your home is invaded. It's best to leave as little to "Hopefully it can be done in time" if you ask me. Your family's lives are on the line.

Do you think the people breaking in will carry a gun safe on their back and you'll both unlock your guns at the same time like some sick twisted spin off of a quick draw? No.. generally when somebody breaks into a house they are either A) hoping nobody else is home, or B) hoping they can catch the homeowners off guard if need be.

It's really easy to say "I hate guns" or "I'd never keep a loaded gun around" but that's kind of like driving on cruise control from the back seat. It works in theory but what if you need to hit the breaks in a split second?

Grizzled_Bear

Registered Member
The SCOTUS weighed in on safe storage in Heller, at the very least it is constitutional to have a loaded gun in your house.

I feel that, for the most part, it should be left to the preference of gun owners. I'm no Clint Smith, but I feel that I'm knowledgeable when it comes to firearms and tactics. I've always taken safety seriously and never had a negligent or accidental discharge. That said, I don't keep my firearms chambered unless they are on me, or sitting inches away from me, in sight.

Unsecured firearms can end up in unsafe hands. I take steps to avoid that. Namely, my GLOCK is in a pistol safe accessible by key pad. The mag is loaded, but the gun is unchambered. If it comes down to the 3-4 seconds it takes me to get my gun ready, pro2A can give me a posthumous "I told you so." I'm fine with that.

Wade8813

Registered Member
The SCOTUS weighed in on safe storage in Heller, at the very least it is constitutional to have a loaded gun in your house.
Lol. It took me a sec to figure out what SCOTUS is... :lol:

But I'm glad you brought that up. There are many aspects of this (and other) debates, and we don't always look at Supreme Court rulings. They're always something to keep in mind.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So there seems to be some debate over if it is ok to have loaded guns in your home.

Owning guns or not aside, assuming you legally can own a gun do you think it is ok to keep loaded guns in your house or not?

Discuss...
Assuming I can legally own a gun and IF ever I wanted to have a gun in the house, I would prefer to have it loaded.:nod: Why? The only reason why I probably would have one is because I fear for my life and I want to guarantee an instant instant boom boom of my expected attacker. I'm already thinking of the minutes lost by going to the safe, unlocking it and getting the weapon.

The problem with having a loaded gun is if accessed by people who aren't supposed to access it, like kids (and I have 3 of them). I don't believe in simply telling them not to touch it. I prefer to be safer and I'd keep my gun in a very secure place, locked and all that, not hanging around at home like one of the appliances.

Fortunately, I don't feel the need to have a gun at home now so I don't have to deal with it.

PentaCube

Registered Member
The problem with having a loaded gun is if accessed by people who aren't supposed to access it, like kids (and I have 3 of them). I don't believe in simply telling them not to touch it. I prefer to be safer and I'd keep my gun in a very secure place, locked and all that, not hanging around at home like one of the appliances.
I don't think anyone here is suggesting keeping it in the kid's room or in the crisper drawer. But a good point.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't think anyone here is suggesting keeping it in the kid's room or in the crisper drawer. But a good point.
To be placed in a a drawer accessible by my children is not "kept enough" for me. For example:

My 4 year old knows that if she opens a drawer and sees a gun she is to close it and come tell me, and she has. :)
Not sure if that gun of his was loaded or not, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with this arrangement if I had a loaded gun despite educating the kids about gun safety.

PentaCube

Registered Member
To be placed in a a drawer accessible by my children is not "kept enough" for me. For example:
Not sure if that gun of his was loaded or not, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with this arrangement if I had a loaded gun despite educating the kids about gun safety.

don't let your kid go through your drawers? put it in the highest drawer. If you don't teach kids to stay out of random drawers you'll never have a place to hide your hustler mags.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
don't let your kid go through your drawers? put it in the highest drawer. If you don't teach kids to stay out of random drawers you'll never have a place to hide your hustler mags.
High unlocked drawers or warnings to keep away from a drawer is for diaries or sex toys, nothing lethal even if they disobey. Just moral corruption. :hah: Loaded gun is for locked drawers. :nod:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
High unlocked drawers or warnings to keep away from a drawer is for diaries or sex toys, nothing lethal even if they disobey. Just moral corruption. :hah: Loaded gun is for locked drawers. :nod:
And locked drawers are one more un-needed step in an already high stress situation. If you don't know what your kids are doing in the first place then you aren't a good parent. If you have a loaded gun in your house, it is your responsibility and DUTY to make sure that child does not access that weapon via education and knowing where they are, and where the gun is.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's no different than keeping sharpened knives in the kitchen drawers. Kids find those too and they know not to take them and go stab people. Some kitchen knives can be extremely deadly. What if you have a meat cleaver in your house. Would you lock it in a safe?

In the end, if you don't trust your kids or they are really young then it's up to you to keep your guns in a place where you feel they will be safe. Each family should decide what to do on their own. What works for one household will not necessarily work for the next.

There shouldn't be a law about this though. It should be up to each person to decide what's best for their family.