Having a loaded gun

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
So there seems to be some debate over if it is ok to have loaded guns in your home.

Owning guns or not aside, assuming you legally can own a gun do you think it is ok to keep loaded guns in your house or not?

Discuss...

snowflake

Registered Member
I don't think it should be kept loaded. All it takes is a silly moment to kill someone, An accident. Is it worth having a loaded gun and risking the lifes of the ones you love !!

wooly

I am the woolrus
i'd probably never have a gun in my house anyways but i don't really see the necessity for a loaded gun. I think it just adds a hint of danger to a relatively safe situation... and besides it probably would only take you a couple of seconds to load it anyways?

Blueyes

Registered Member
Having the thing loaded is probably why there are all those "accidents" that we have now because they just assume it isn't loaded which you should never assume. Keep the thing unloaded until you need it.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What you do with your personal belongings is your own business. Thats my opinion.... It applies to any single individuals methodology on shutting room lights off, to littering, to firearms.

What we do is keep the magazines loaded and kept in separate lockers (literally lockers that we bought from a High School Modernization Auction). Each Firearm that we own has its own sliding lockable Drawer in the locker with Mags and Ammo and even other accesories... the mags are in fact loaded while the Guns are locked in the Safe. Thats the basic policy around here. Revolvers are loaded with an empty chamber under the hammer (ie: 6 round Cylinders have 5 rounds chambered).

The guns that have internal Magazines such as the Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action Rifles or Shotguns are not loaded and the Ammo is kept in the locker. The ones with Stripper clips go by the same rule as the Magazines... Strippers are Loaded and kept with the Ammo.

If you want to keep a loaded gun in your home that's fine with me. But it's pretty dumb of you to keep it loaded when you have young kids at the house and then even dumber to leave it in a place where it can be found so easily.

As far as I'm concerned the only loaded gun kids need to play with is a water gun.

PentaCube

Registered Member
I believe you should keep at least one of your guns loaded in case you need it for home defense. Of course, if you have young children in the house you should educate them, and let them know that it is not a toy, then keep it in a place where they can't physically get to it. I say keep your guns and ammo seperate and locked up, except for the gun you keep for home defense.

What's the point of having a gun for home defense if you can't get it loaded in time to do anything about it?

wooly

I am the woolrus
What's the point of having a gun for home defense if you can't get it loaded in time to do anything about it?
but surely if you have a loaded magazine in a nearby locker/cabinet like icegoat said, it only takes a split second to load. I think having an already loaded gun is an unnecessary risk. Not EXTREMELY dangerous by any means, if it's still property of a responsible gun owner, but just adds a needless hint of danger that could be avoided. and when we're talking guns, surely it's best to be as safe as possible? One accident can be life changing so it's best to do everything possible to avoid them.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
but surely if you have a loaded magazine in a nearby locker/cabinet like icegoat said, it only takes a split second to load. I think having an already loaded gun is an unnecessary risk. Not EXTREMELY dangerous by any means, if it's still property of a responsible gun owner, but just adds a needless hint of danger that could be avoided. and when we're talking guns, surely it's best to be as safe as possible? One accident can be life changing so it's best to do everything possible to avoid them.
I have mentioned in another thread that in a high stress situation like a home invasion, you loose control of your fine motor skills. Its a known fact, so the less steps the better. Thats why I love my Glock :)