• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Question Have you ever started reading a book and noticed a lot of mistakes in it?

whiteraven

Registered Member
Compared to regular published books and Ebooks I've noticed that many ebooks have mistakes in them. I hate trying to read a book that I have to correct the word or words in the book to read it. After awhile I've noticed I'll just put it down and not finish it.
Regular books I've found a few mistakes in them with spelling. I can usually finish those. It seems to happen when they reprint them to many times.

Have you ever noticed certain mistakes in books?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've noticed them mostly in the cheaper novels not so much by well known writers such as Stephen King. I don't own a ebook so I can't make the comparison to them. I tell you what I really hate is some of the noticeable mistakes in some of these news articles. Even from mainstream media. Makes you wonder if the editor was asleep or if its like most places and they just don't hire enough to catch them all.

danwiz

Registered Member
A lot of independently published e-books are riddled with mistakes. Some of the authors are just poor at spelling, some are also poor with grammar and some just plain don't even know the meaning of some of the words they are using - for example - I read one book where the author did not recognize the difference between passed and past and just seemed to use them randomly.

Some authors can't even correctly use you're/your or there/their/they're correctly.

Some e-books - again, the independently published ones - have very unsatisfactory formatting, like the author published an e-book and did not even download it to his/her own Nook, Kindle, iPhone or whatever to check on the formatting.

Some of my e-book reviews:

Well, I bought this book a while ago and for the version I purchased I was appalled by the number of misused words (she waived at him from...) {waived does not = waved}. And, the word order had a lot of problems too - this is not a direct quote, but an example of what a person would find - "she at him waived". Therefore the reader constantly has to stop and think about "what is [name deleted] trying to say here?"

Another e-book:
Although I generally enjoyed reading this book, the number of errors in verb tense, usage of words, mixed up sentences (for example stuff like this - which is NOT an exact quote from the book "I him told that he should ..." when it should have been "I told him that he should..." was appalling! These errors kept making me slow down to mentally correct them and at the same time kept making me angry, especially after they just kept continuing and continuing!

I am disappointed that the author apparently did not even bother to read his own book once it was finished, nor have a friend, brother, mother, aunt, uncle or anybody else read it and offer a red pencil to it! Are people in that much of a hurry to publish so they cannot take the few days it would require to read their own work again?! I know that this is far from the best way to edit a work, but it might prove to be better than nothing at all!

And one more:
I downloaded this book, opened it on my Kindle, noticed that it has neither a cover nor a table of contents and said, well, okay. But, then I briefly looked at the first page and the formatting errors stuck out at me like a sore thumb - paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences all over the place. Well, I continued to look and then I noticed the typos on the very first page. I deleted it - darn glad it was free.

So, you see that I totally agree with you - I'm not interested in reading books where I have to constantly stop to try and figure out what the author is saying. I strongly encourage you to leave a review of those books - it helps other people to make a purchase decision.

I always take a glance at the worst reviews before buying a book! If those reviews mention grammar, spelling or formatting problems then I'm gone. I never even bother to read the 4 & 5 star reviews - those were probably written by the author's friends and family members!

I am an author too - I have created several books, both as print editions and then as Kindle editions. I would NOT release a print book to the public without reviewing it with a fine tooth comb in addition to asking several friends to review it. I have gone through as many as 7 proofs of one print book before I was willing to release it to the public. Likewise, when I convert those publications for Kindle, I load them up on my Kindle and check out every single page for formatting surprises, and believe me, there can be many of them. I do that BEFORE I even submit it to Amazon for approval. It has to get the "stamp of SELF APPROVAL" first! Amazon does nothing with Kindle books except make a sales page for them - they don't edit, proof or check it in any way! So, if the author is in a hurry to see his/her name on Amazon and that's all he/she cares about, then you can end up with a piece of garbage!

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
The most annoying I saw were in ebooks, where when a word that has a double l in it "will" would show up as "wil" instead. You have no idea how many double l's are used in words until this happens. So annoying.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
As someone who reads and writes, I quite often spot mistakes in books. (I only read hard copies, never ebooks.) It can be annoying at times, but I'm fairly lenient with that kind of thing. I notice it more in a writer's earlier books because they tend to improve over time and practise, but also because more popular authors have better editors and proof-readers that can help to spot mistakes.

It can be hard to spot your own mistakes though - I've experienced this for myself when I go back to read something I've written and cringe as I find a bunch of errors - so I tend not to let it bother me too much. :lol:

danwiz

Registered Member
Chaos: you said "It can be hard to spot your own mistakes though - I've experienced this for myself when I go back to read something I've written and cringe as I find a bunch of errors".

And, this is precisely why we have what is called "proofing". Before I ever approve one of my books for sale I go through it with a fine tooth comb, as I believe that EVERY indie author should do. I am in the process of proofing my latest book now and - yes, it's so damn difficult to find my own mistakes, which is why I hold a pen in my hand and go through each and every line attempting to be sure that there are spaces between each word, periods at the end of every sentence, commas where (and only where) needed, no typos and no misspelled words.

The proofing is definitely not an enjoyable task, but it's so very critical to good reviews and also to sales.

dDave

V.I.P.
It can be hard to spot your own mistakes though - I've experienced this for myself when I go back to read something I've written and cringe as I find a bunch of errors - so I tend not to let it bother me too much. :lol:
I have to have a pretty fair amount of time pass before I can go back and actually proofread something I've written, I can definitely do it though.

I do notice mistakes in books occasionally. Even in Robert Jordan's writing (I'm reading some of his stuff right now actually), I will occasionally notice an error. The errors are acceptable because the books are just so huge and the errors are very infrequent. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I have a bunch of first editions. Errors that are caught after printing can be changed for later printings.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
And, this is precisely why we have what is called "proofing". Before I ever approve one of my books for sale I go through it with a fine tooth comb, as I believe that EVERY indie author should do. [/FONT]
You could go through it with the finest comb possible and still come out with mistakes; the best thing to do is have a second or third pair of eyes go through it. I send it to a friend after so many thousand words to make sure I have my (and his) characters consistent, and when it's done I get him and someone else to proof it.

But, to the topic on hand, I occasionally find little mistakes 'should that word be this? isn't there supposed to be a comma there?' stuff like that. It doesn't bother me unless it messes with continuity.