Have you ever noticed data being collected about you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Interested, May 7, 2010.

1. Interested

Interested Registered Member

I am talking about internet here. Every single time I type looking for something in search engines, I get adverts related to the search ... On each and every website I visit afterwards!

For example, I was looking for key combination for my Nokia Xpress Music 5800, and not only did every website fill up with adverts of various accessories and applications, but I now also get pop ups with it! It has been a month!

I feel like each and every step is being watched and that is kind of insulting to my human rights :( Be careful when you type into google to find tips for hiding a dead body! :shifteyes:

Last edited: May 7, 2010

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I can tell you as a debt collector that you'd be quite surprised at how easy it is to find someone and not just because of sites that have harvested data, but because people have willingly given it away. In terms of your issue, that's nothing but tracking cookies. They keep notes as to where you've been and alter the advertisements accordingly. Just clear your temporary internet files every time you surf.

3. Interested

Interested Registered Member

I know that loads of data is available on each and every of us. I just do not like the idea.

I wasn't suggesting real people were sat there with tracking devices, writing long reports on me. But it's a fact that data (one way or another) is constantly collected about us. And I don't find that soothing. That is one of the reasons I prefer Linux over Microsoft and leave as little information as possible around the web.

4. KSpiceFantastic

KSpiceFantastic Haters gonna hate.

I have noticed, but only on Facebook, which has all your personal info, anyway.

5. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

It always happens here. If I'm visiting a site while posting on generalforum the advertisment banner on GF is usually about what I'm browsing about. I dont think it really invades my privacy so I dont really pay attention to it.

6. Dekzper

Dekzper Registered Member

OMG! Def dont google the 'hide a dead body' thing! You'll get ads from every funeral service in the whole world :lol: !! Dad says its spyware. The people who design it say its to help them help us. I say they need to go f**k themselves! (IMO).

7. agata

agata Registered Member

I don't think you should take it so personally. :tongue:

I don't care. What irritates me more is that sometimes companies sent me some adverts or notices that I was chosen to take part in a contest either on my email or real mail. Whenever you sign a contract, or you register somewhere, they oblige you to give them address and to agree that they can send you whatever they want.
    What's more interesting, as far as I know, police in my country (I don't know about other countries) uses information from social networking websites to identify some people or check where they live, how they look like, or with whom they are friends. And theoretically there's nothing wrong in it as people themselves decide what they want to show and reveal. So if you write everything about yourself, you must be aware that it may be used in different manners not only by your friends but also by your foes ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2010