Have you ever broken anything getting mad at a video game?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
My response in another topic was going to deal with this, but I think it deserves a topic of its own. So here goes.

What, if anything, have you ever broken because of getting mad or frustrated at a video game? It could be anything at all, whether the gaming equipment itself, something else around you, or any subsequent damage caused because something stupid or outrageous in a game pissed you off enough to cause you to cross the line whereby something ended up broken or destroyed. I'm curious to know exactly how and why things gotten out of hand.

Angry Video Game Nerd and other reviewers will often depict destroying games and whatnot, but everyone in the reviewing community knows that's fake and just for show. I'm interested in people's real stories of how it really happens. This might benefit me in future game reviews, it might not, you never know. Can't hurt, since it goes towards having authenticity behind it for a change.

My own experiences...

I used to have 4 N64 controllers (two grey, one blue, one green) until I got frustrated at WWF No Mercy one day and got so pissed off that I used the left butt of my N64 controller to smash the reset button, and one time I smashed it so hard that I (A) missed and broke the little fan vent in the front of it and busted a whole in the vents, (B) caused the reset button not to work now, and (C) busted the controller to bits (moreso after the original system busting happened). In addition, I got the no mercy game and threw it or took it out and busted it more with the controller (or something, I can't remember, it was nothing elaborate).

Later on, I ended up buying the game again and getting back into it, but at the time, I don't know, I took it way too seriously, or those move reversal controls were just a pain to figure out. I think I was playing in their max difficulty mode and the computer just seems to arbitrarily let you succeed or not succeed. It becomes a very arbitrary game at that level where the computer seems to almost have ESP and know exactly what you're going to do to where the buttons are programmed to do the EXACT thing for everything you do to not work, whether offensive or defensive. I don't think I've ever touched that mode again because of it.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Other than dents in walls, I haven't broke anything while playing video games, although I had so many opportunities to do so! That might be because this usually happens when I'm at someone else's place rather than mine!:D

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've gotten frustrated to the point of shouting obscenities or rage quitting, but I don't recall ever breaking anything as a result of anger at a video game. I feel like that's a bit over the top. It's just a game, after all, and if you're not enjoying yourself, maybe it's best to just step away for a bit.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've gotten frustrated to the point of shouting obscenities or rage quitting, but I don't recall ever breaking anything as a result of anger at a video game. I feel like that's a bit over the top. It's just a game, after all, and if you're not enjoying yourself, maybe it's best to just step away for a bit.
Couldn’t agree more with this post. When I read the OP, I was beside myself of what I was reading. That’s crazy.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
First off, thanks for quoting echoes' entire post. Secondly, you'd have to be a real gamer to get it. So if anything, it dates you past the original systems. The main thing is that the real thing does not involve picking up drills or tools like in the reviews. At least not until there's an actual story of one, which I'd love to find out about if anyone HAS actually used one at some point.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I never broke anything, but I'm sure as a kid I angrily threw the controller against the ground at least a few times after either losing a close game (I haven't played video games in years, but when I did it was either Super Mario or a sports game) or losing to a close friend since we'd get pretty competitive. I can't even fathom how my parents would've reacted to me breaking a Nintendo 64 or a PS2 back in the day...

Twitch

Registered Member
I don't believe so. I'm trying to remember if I've ever thrown a controller in anger, and if I have whether it was just into the couch or not. At this point I've succumbed to dropping the controller in my lap and rubbing my temples if something is frustrating me enough.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
The N64 still works, just not the reset button (unless it was temporary, could be wrong on that one). This was early 2000's and simply had to get a new one off ebay.

What about Super Mario was frustrating? It's mostly the bad games that do most of the damage. That's what gives reviewers a fanbase. Everyone gets what the cheap shit game designers made us put up with back in the day.

Even in the N64 days, cheap means were used as part of the "challenge" and took awhile to phase out, if even. Like in Mario Kart 64, nomatter how you do at slipping up everyone behind you, they always find a way to gravitate right in back of you and it takes a big fat rare level warp to actually stay ahead. But that's not so bad since there's lots of ways to use items to catch back up, so it balances out. It took awhile before non-cheap means were the primary difficulty factor in any games. And even today, I don't know exactly how far they've actually come from that.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I can't even remember what was frustrating about Super Mario since it's been nearly 20 years since I played it. I probably died against Bowser or just narrowly missed out beating some various level on the game that had always given me hell.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
First off, thanks for quoting echoes' entire post. Secondly, you'd have to be a real gamer to get it. So if anything, it dates you past the original systems. The main thing is that the real thing does not involve picking up drills or tools like in the reviews. At least not until there's an actual story of one, which I'd love to find out about if anyone HAS actually used one at some point.
Why do I need to be a real gamer to understand that your frustration was excessive?

It's crazy to me what you did.