• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Have You Ever Been Frostbitten??

Dabs

Registered Member
Has anyone here ever fell to such misfortune??
I have read stories in newspapers, seen pictures on the web...and some poor people, get frostbit so bad, they have to have toes or feet amputated.
And the blackness!
Oh my......it looks so horrid...I feel so bad for them people.
I have felt terribly cold....felt like my hands were frozen solid....but that's my own damn fault, I don't wear gloves......but I can't imagine the pain of having frostbite!
Anyone ever bear the pain??...or know of someone who has??

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
You know, when I was in the Scouts my Scout master told a fright story of how some kids were dicking around in the cold, and they sprayed water on some kids crotch, and his dick got frostbitten, and they had to cut it off.:urp:

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yep, I have. It was after a day of skiing in Park City Utah. The temps were in the 20s most the day. I had not done my socks properly. I knew my toes were cold but it didn't feel all that different than the usual cold. As we drove back to SLC and I started to warm up, I could slowly feel the tingle of my toes. But instead of it feeling good it began to sting! It got incredibly painful to the point that when I got home I took codeine and went to sleep. The next morning my soles felt numb when I walked and my right toe was super tender. I went to the doc and he did confirm I had frostbite. Eventually my toenail turned black and came off.

Dabs

Registered Member
Yep, I have. It was after a day of skiing in Park City Utah. The temps were in the 20s most the day. I had not done my socks properly. I knew my toes were cold but it didn't feel all that different than the usual cold. As we drove back to SLC and I started to warm up, I could slowly feel the tingle of my toes. But instead of it feeling good it began to sting! It got incredibly painful to the point that when I got home I took codeine and went to sleep. The next morning my soles felt numb when I walked and my right toe was super tender. I went to the doc and he did confirm I had frostbite. Eventually my toenail turned black and came off.

Damn, so sorry to hear!! :shocked:
------
You know, when I was in the Scouts my Scout master told a fright story of how some kids were dicking around in the cold, and they sprayed water on some kids crotch, and his dick got frostbitten, and they had to cut it off.:urp:

Is this for fucking real?? :shocked:

Last edited:

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
------

Is this for fucking real?? :shocked:
I personally don't believe it but you'd have to ask my Scout Master. But believe me, it scared the piss out of us.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I dont think I've ever had frostbite but my fingers and toes have been so cold that they got numb. And it hurt really bad for about half an hour after they started to thaw. But no blackened skin or anything. I've never seen the blackened skin thing though and didn't know toes or fingers might have to be cut off! :-o I'm def gonna be more careful this winter now that I know. :nod:

Dabs

Registered Member
I dont think I've ever had frostbite but my fingers and toes have been so cold that they got numb. And it hurt really bad for about half an hour after they started to thaw. But no blackened skin or anything. I've never seen the blackened skin thing though and didn't know toes or fingers might have to be cut off! :-o I'm def gonna be more careful this winter now that I know. :nod:

And you do know, running warm water over your frozen parts, DOES NOT help much!

RATTIE

Registered Member
I worked in a factory where it had to be kept at refrigerator temperature.
They poured water on the floor every half hour to keep it clean.
They squeegeed it away but by then your feet were properly chilled, and just as they began to regain some semblance of feeling they would do it all over again.
No surprises then that my feet were purple with chilblains!!!

I don't know at what stage chilblains turn into frost bite but that felt really shit.

On the up-side I've still got all my toes! :spin:

Dekzper

Registered Member
And you do know, running warm water over your frozen parts, DOES NOT help much!
I found out! I was alone at the house when it happened and didn't know what to do. :spin: So I put my hands under hot water and nothing. Then I put them over the stove and finally OUCH! :shocked: I NEVER stay out in the snow that long anymore and def wont let anyone bury me in it!

Rattie, I'm glad u still have toes! That sounds like a really scary place to work 4 sure!

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I got frostbitten when I was a toddler. If you look close, in fact, you can see some of the aftermath on my face in the GF baby pic thread.

Be warned, this story's a bit of a bummer:

It was the family's first winter in Minnesota. Mom had been raised on the Eastern seaboard, away from the raging polar storms that can sweep down the low-lying upper Midwest in the path that glaciers once took. She was used to sending the older kids out in the snow for a romp and then collecting them back in to warm up. That was her way. But this time, it went wrong.

I have a dim memory of standing on the back steps, banging on the door and crying in frustration because Mom wouldn't let me in out of the bitter cold. My legs gave out, I know, and I slumped to the base of the door. That's all I remember.

But Mom wasn't home. As I pieced together much later, she had gone over to chat up the next door neighbor for a few hours, arriving home just in time to get me to an emergency room for the frostbite and hypothermia. Where she thought I was, I'm not sure. The folks, God bless 'em, are both the absent-minded nerdy type. The pain and redness were soon gone and forgotten, but the terror of maternal absence in a desperate hour dogged me subconsciously for many years to follow.